If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
  • It does help with job applications. By getting decent grades, and being part of the team, she would be proving her ability to manage time, be a team player and still excel in her endeavors. I didn't graduate with honors, but when I explained that I had a full course load, worked a part time job (15 hrs/wk) and was a varsity swimmer (another ump-teen hours per week), the attitude of my interviewer changed drastically for the positive.
  • I think most people who understand what it means to compete at the college level are impressed. Most people understand you don't get to that level unless you have a certain amount of skill and a good work ethic. It's also an absolutely great way to immediately have a group of like-minded peers at school - IMO a much better alternative than a sorority ;-) Exactly what is it that this naysayer has a problem with? What does he think she won't be doing if she decides to swim? If she has managed to do well at school while swimming in high school there is no reason to think that she can't continue to do so in college...
  • She is obviously able to handle a heavy workload. No reason she can't do it in college. Why do I doubt this naysayer ever put that kind of effort into high school, much less college??? I would ignore him ;-)
  • I wonder if he'd be saying the same thing if it was a boy playing college football? All the reasons already stated above are great reasons for her to swim in college. It continues to teach her time management and have a built in base of friends right off the bat. College sports of any kind are friendships (and connections) that will last a lifetime. I hope she doesn't listen to him and listen to everyone else who tells her, "GO FOR IT!" :)
  • I wonder if he'd be saying the same thing if it was a boy playing college football? I'd sure hope so since the graduation rate of swimmers is way higher than football players! Some recruiters will be impressed, others will not be. But I doubt many would see it as a negative thing.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    He thinks it a waste of her time--she could be studying or working part time. As for grades, she is in a magnet program where she is required to maintain a 3.5 or better. She also has taken 4 AP classes every year. On top of that she is artistic /exhibits at judged shows and is involved in several civic/service organization. How she does it I'll never know... Ah youth!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Yes, I believe she will do fine in college. And you got that right, he was one of the ones who did just enough to get a "C". Fortunately she doesn't see him a lot, but you can see her deflate when he makes those remarks.
  • I found freshman year a difficult transition. Belonging to a team made a huge difference in my sense of well-being. I think Varsity Swimmer helped on my Medical School application too. She should go for it.
  • My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? Well, I've always been comfortable and an able swimmer, but I didn't swim in h.s. or college. I joined the Navy a couple years after h.s. and began swimming for fitness/triathlon. I can attest that swimming once got me promoted to a higher pay grade. I was stationed at a command with an Admiral for a commanding officer. To help fight faltering fitness test scores, he proclaimed that anyone who got a perfect score on the semi-annual fitness test would receive a Letter of Commendation from him. For those who don't know...a Letter of Commendation from a flag officer earns you points at advancement time. At that time (late 80s), the swim portion of the Navy fitness test called for something like 7:00 in the 500 yard swim for a perfect score. Of course by then I was able to do the 500yds in the high 5-minute to low 6-minute timeframe so a perfect score was routine for me. Well, I got the perfect score, got the Letter of Commendation, and in the next advancement cycle I earned advancement by less than one point. That letter got me over the top. Dan
  • Not everything one does in college has direct ties to employment prospects. If she loves swimming and wants to compete, it's a great way to stay motivated, in shape, and build lifelong friendships. Along the way she will learn teamwork, commitment, goal orientation, all of which are great benefits in life and in work. But regardless, of the work prospects, if she loves it, she should do it because it will make her a happier person.