If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
  • Most people that graduate do not work in the same field that the degree was in anyhow, Swimming 3 years on varsity at Illinois state univ, made me proud that I could be at that level of swimming. The swimmers I met were helpful in pushing me in my degree load as well. No scholarship - walk on and I'm in my 30th year of masters swimming now! Jobs will come and go but, swimming in a constant for me!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Keith, she has ruled out the schools interested in her that didn't offer the major she wanted. She won't compromise on that just to swim.
  • Someone - maybe it was Albert Einstein - once said "Great spirits are often troubled by mediocre minds." The naysayer is just that. Perhaps less. I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Brundage, as well as the research he sited. I suggest that you advise your grand daughter to follow her own path and to read the Alchemist if she has not already done so. Thank you very much.
  • My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? I walked onto my Division 1 team my freshman year and only swam that 1 year as I was not really good enough to compete in Div 1. I don't know of any doors that it directly opened for me after graduation, but it definitely helped me make some good friends, ease the transition to college, and have a lot of fun. She should definitely swim if 1) she wants to; 2) is capable; and 3) it will not affect her studies. I'd consider those short-term things, rather than whether swimming will open any doors down the road. You mentioned that several colleges are interested in her. Are these schools that she is interested in attending regardless of swimming. Unless swimming is actually her life (either Olympic aspirations or has little educational goals, and I doubt the latter based on her course load), it may not be a great idea to make a decision based solely on swimming, but that is no reason to not swim at all, or not even consider it, as it is most definitely not a waste of time. But the naysayer may be more concerned that she could pick the wrong school by making swimming the priority, as opposed to the idea of participating in swimming in general. For example, does she have her sights set on attending an ivy league school, but is getting interest from secondary state schools (i.e., not the flagship campus but something like Southern CT State vs. UConn) and would consider giving up on all other goals just for swimming? Don't let the naysayer get her down.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    SMONTANARO, I'm gathering amunition to do just that.
  • I seem to recall an Enterprise Rental Car Commercial that touted it's former Student Athlete employees. I'm sure there are other companies that focus on student athletes so I'd say you just never know...
  • Because I swam in college ... It helped me organize my time while in college and gave me the opportunity to work hard at something I loved ... which led to becoming swim captain ... which helped me get hired at age 22 into a great company and a great job .... which also led to playing water polo from age 22-30 .... which led to fun travels and meeting some great people .... which led to not being afraid of the water ... which led to learning to fish on large lakes .... which led to 30 years of annual fishing trips with the same 5 guys with memories and lifelong friendships ... which led to teaching my children to fish ... which led to many enjoyable afternoons with them in a boat ... which led to competing in triathlons at age 55 and up ... which put me in great physical and mental shape ... which kept me employed and performing at a high level on the job until I elected to retire on my time line.... which led to joining a masters swim program ... which gets me out of the house early morning 4 days per week (both at home and when travelling) .... which keeps me active, healthy and intellectually engaged. Yea ... I would suggest your grandchild should swim. But, at a school where she is likely to stay with it for 4 years. In other words, a good D3 swim program or a D1 program may or may not be the right fit.
  • I would also question the motivation of the negative person. I once dated a guy who couldn't swim, and took every opportunity to put down my swimming (calling it flopping around or useless back and forth). it was a classic case of putting someone down to rise themselves up.
  • I once dated a guy who couldn't swim, and took every opportunity to put down my swimming (calling it flopping around or useless back and forth). Wow, that takes some serious gall!
  • Take the non liking swimming person out in a boat and roll it over -- see what he thinks of "flopping around in the water " now !!