If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • Not everything one does in college has direct ties to employment prospects. If she loves swimming and wants to compete, it's a great way to stay motivated, in shape, and build lifelong friendships. Along the way she will learn teamwork, commitment, goal orientation, all of which are great benefits in life and in work. But regardless, of the work prospects, if she loves it, she should do it because it will make her a happier person.
  • Not everything one does in college has direct ties to employment prospects. If she loves swimming and wants to compete, it's a great way to stay motivated, in shape, and build lifelong friendships. Along the way she will learn teamwork, commitment, goal orientation, all of which are great benefits in life and in work. But regardless, of the work prospects, if she loves it, she should do it because it will make her a happier person.
Children
No Data