If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • I think most people who understand what it means to compete at the college level are impressed. Most people understand you don't get to that level unless you have a certain amount of skill and a good work ethic. It's also an absolutely great way to immediately have a group of like-minded peers at school - IMO a much better alternative than a sorority ;-) Exactly what is it that this naysayer has a problem with? What does he think she won't be doing if she decides to swim? If she has managed to do well at school while swimming in high school there is no reason to think that she can't continue to do so in college...
  • I think most people who understand what it means to compete at the college level are impressed. Most people understand you don't get to that level unless you have a certain amount of skill and a good work ethic. It's also an absolutely great way to immediately have a group of like-minded peers at school - IMO a much better alternative than a sorority ;-) Exactly what is it that this naysayer has a problem with? What does he think she won't be doing if she decides to swim? If she has managed to do well at school while swimming in high school there is no reason to think that she can't continue to do so in college...
Children
No Data