4 year break flip turns make me nauseous

Former Member
Former Member
Hey all ive been coaching on and off over the past 10 years. I used to always get in and help my swimmers in the water by doing drills with them, showing them turns and stuff. Recently ive been away from swimming for about 4 years. I just got back into the pool the other day to work on turns, but the weirdest thing happens whenever i flip or even open turn (like a fast open turn). Ill do my flip but it will make my head start spinning. I feel it entirely in my head, ill do the flip, get dizzy and my head will tingle a little bit. Its actually really scary and i only did a couple turns the first day. Yesterday i went a little more intense and did about 15 turns, the last few felt a little better but now im feeling a little nauseous in bed. Im not sure with all of the research in concussions and symptoms but is this something that i should be able to work through and keep doing, or should I not swim until i can get it figured out? Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • I'm not a Dr. and I've never had problems with vertigo, except recently when I first got back in the water after a few years off, I felt dizzy (no nausea) after my flip turns and at the end of a 1 hour practice. Not enough to stop me from swimming. The sensation went away in a few minutes after I stopped swimming laps. This had never happened to me before after prior breaks and I chalked it up to getting older and the resulting changes in my balance/equilibrium from age. After a week or so of swimming (maybe a few more), the sensation stopped occurring, presumably because in a few weeks my equilibrium adjusted to the turning motion. Getting checked by a Dr. is good advice, especially if it seems to get worse, does not improve after a number of swim sessions, or continues after you get out the pool.
  • Welcome to my world. :bighug: I used to have a pretty darn good flip turn in high school, but as an adult, the same thing was happening when I attempted repetitive flip turns. :eek:​ I finally made the connection that between then and when I returned to swimming, I had developed Meniere's, an inner ear disorder. The strange thing with me is that it only happens when I flip forward. When I flip around for an old-fashioned backstroke bucket turn, I'm fine. I am also fine when I do an open turn for the other strokes. If I bend down too fast to tie my shoes (or do a flip turn), I will get dizzy. You might want to see an E.N.T. doctor, so they can take a look at your inner ear. If you do in fact have Meniere's, that would be the cause of the symptoms you described. Good luck!
  • Hey all ive been coaching on and off over the past 10 years. I used to always get in and help my swimmers in the water by doing drills with them, showing them turns and stuff. Recently ive been away from swimming for about 4 years. I just got back into the pool the other day to work on turns, but the weirdest thing happens whenever i flip or even open turn (like a fast open turn). Ill do my flip but it will make my head start spinning. I feel it entirely in my head, ill do the flip, get dizzy and my head will tingle a little bit. Its actually really scary and i only did a couple turns the first day. Yesterday i went a little more intense and did about 15 turns, the last few felt a little better but now im feeling a little nauseous in bed. Im not sure with all of the research in concussions and symptoms but is this something that i should be able to work through and keep doing, or should I not swim until i can get it figured out? Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk I am not a doctor but would suggest getting a checkup from your doctor. What's the harm?
  • In the meantime here's an idea: Try one of the over-the-counter meds for motion sickness and see if that prevents it from happening. Dan
  • I'm not a doctor, but the best advice is to see a doctor so you know for sure what you are dealing with. I could be way off, but your post sounded similar to this one; forums.usms.org/showthread.php Again, I'm not a doctor and only a visit to one can accurately diagnose your issue.
  • I agree that the best advice would be to see a doctor and make sure there are no underlying issues causing your vertigo. If everything checks out fine, I would suggest trying out some earplugs in practice. Water may be entering your ear, which can sometimes cause dizziness.
  • You could just be starting to come down with something, if it happens more than a couple days in a row, I would be more concerned. No harm in getting checked out by your doctor. I've found if I flip and rotate to my right the same thing happens - I have diagnosed Eustachian tube dysfunction in my right ear. So between the lack of turning that way and the residual sinus pressure, it makes my head spin. This is something that never happened before the dysfunction developed 2 years ago. But I had WAY more problems than flip turns to clue me into getting checked. That wasn't even on my radar. But if you're stuffy, you might get wobbly.
  • Yup !! We all agree dizzy is one thing but nausea is another. Please get a checkup and let us know the results.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the advice everyone, i went to the doctor and he couldn't find anything wrong with me. He said it was probably just vertigo. I'm going to keep trying to do them every once in a while, but ill focus on getting in shape first and hopefully that will help. He said to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt get worse and start to show up while doing other things. I'm hoping that this is something temporary, it seemed to happen on both open turns and flip turns. I think the biggest thing for me is to just limit the ammount that i do so I dont get too nauseous afterwards. Ill look into Menieres and see what it is and if these symptoms continue ill bring it up to my doctor and see what i need to do to see if i have it. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I am glad you mention it only happens when you flip forward, the same thing happens to me and I have the same condition. The worst part is I think sometimes swimmers look at me like I am not "real" because I am forced into an open turn, then are surprised when I beat them... The strange thing with me is that it only happens when I flip forward. When I flip around for an old-fashioned backstroke bucket turn, I'm fine. I am also fine when I do an open turn for the other strokes. If I bend down too fast to tie my shoes (or do a flip turn), I will get dizzy.