Personal best in the age of 36. Yes it is possible

Former Member
Former Member
Last weekend at the german masters championchips, I smashed my personal best in the 50m backstroke about more than half of one second! I swam 28,38. My best time was 28,9 (about 15 years ago). I still can't belive that...
  • Great job. Since my college team did mostly long/slow stuff I found that when I was doing race pace work on my own in my 30s my 50s and 100s were faster than in college.
  • :applaud:Good job Martin - keep it up and let us know how you are doing.
  • Congrats Martin! That's a great achievement!
  • Congratulations, Martin. Have you been working on your underwaters a lot?
  • And at 69 --- I did my best time in the 200 fly at Spring Nationals !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thank you. But actually I don't make race pace work much. I did some of course, but not much...And I am not a sprinter, my best results are more in 100m and 200m back.... This year, I only changed my athletic program and I am doing some yoga, but my swimming program was almost the same... 3 weeks before the meet, I started to taper, one week more than usually, but I don't know, if this affect my performence that much... On the race, I was looking on 4 things: start, breathing, turn and finish. Since I am focusing on my breath, I am feeling much more better in the end of the race... On the first 25m, I try to breath just one or two times. Since I am in the 35-39 age group, I am feeling more confident at all, and I try to win my race and crack my opponents down.. I knew there was one guy out there, who is better sprinter than me and who is going to win 9 of 10 times, I have only one chance to win, if I do the perfect race, on a perfect day... And this was the race of my life in 50m backstroke...
  • Former Member
    Congratulations, Martin. Have you been working on your underwaters a lot? Thank you. Yeah I did work on my undererwater kicks, but not much. Maybe 3 times a week 10-15 minutes...
  • Former Member
    you can take a look at the results here www.dsv.de/.../DSV_Masters_Protokoll_DKMM2015ER.pdf masterswimming in germany is growing up.
  • Martin, when are Germany's national meets typically held? My wife and I would like to come visit Germany in the next couple of years and if we had a swim meet to attend, that would be an awesome experience! Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Hi Muppet, There are three of them in germany. Two hold at LCM and one at SCM. Usually the first german masters are in April includes some 200m, 400m IM and 400m free and also long distance freestyle. The second german masters are in June includes all 50m and 100m, 200m IM and 200m freestyle. The last one big meet is end of november at SCM. But next year the first two nationals are earlier than usually because of the big euro masters meet end of may.