Swimming in Vermont

Does anybody know if the natatorium at Middlebury College is open to the public or if it's students only?
  • Does anybody know if the natatorium at Middlebury College is open to the public or if it's students only? It doesn't appear so, but it can't hurt to contact them. Who May Use Facilities: Only Middlebury College students, faculty, staff, and alumni ID card holders may use the athletic facilities. Guests may accompany ID card holders on a one-on-one basis only. Children, age 15 and younger, of faculty and staff must be accompanied and supervised by an ID card holder and may use the facility during off-peak times only. (Peak times are Monday-Friday, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.) Children of faculty and staff age 16 and older may use the facility during off-peak times by showing their parent's College ID and proof of their own identity to the monitor at the front desk. They may not bring guests.
  • Thanks, swimark. Which brings up the question, where are the best facilities in the Middlebury area if the natatorium is open only to students and staff?
  • Unfortunately I don't have any first hand knowledge, but found some links for you. (My niece graduated from Middlebury, but she was into softball and not swimming.) The link below lists the New England area USMS programs, both clubs and workout groups. www.teamunify.com/SubTabGeneric.jsp There is\was a team called the Middlebury Muffin Tops, but their website is not working. They still have a contact person listed if you follow the link above. (Interestingly enough, they have a middlebury.edu address) Also you can search on this site too. www.usms.org/.../ Hopefully that will get you started.
  • Hey Denise, I think that the Muffintops are not in force much these days. I know that there is a group meeting at The Edge in Williston and also at Pico Mountain, I can get there info for you if you are interested (it would be a 30 mile drive from Middlebury). I have had success in the past emailing a coach at a particular school and then getting in for a swim...Middlebury's Coach Rueppel's info can be found here: athletics.middlebury.edu/.../rueppel Our pool in Bennington (Southwest corner of the state) is closing after this week for two weeks, but if you are down this way let me know and I can let you know about some OW swims we have planned through Labor Day.
  • Thanks, rxleakem. I'm looking for a place to retire in Vermont and scoping out the best locations with indoor pools, because that's core to where we decide to settle. I like Middlebury because it's a pretty town with a lot to offer in the way of culture, and it's close enough to family. When I saw that natatorium I hyperventilated LOL, but if it's closed to the public (a shame since it's such a huge facility), I have to rethink that preference. It looks as though Bennington has a nice pool. But I've been to Bennington and although I like the downtown, it's not geographically in the best location and (though Robert Frost might disagree). Vermont doesn't have a lot in the way of rec centers with indoor pools.
  • The swimming hole in Stowe is a really nice pool and well maintained. I swam there everyday for a week while on vacation last summer. There are a lot of really nice swimmers there too, and a masters team. I don't know how Stowe fits into your geography but I can vouch for the pool! theswimmingholestowe.com/