Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
  • I am surprised mmlr38 has not responded to this thread since he would seem to be a good example.As I understand it he did not have a competitive swimming background,joined Masters in his 30s, and has several TT pool times to his credit.
  • However, if you look at the very top of most age groups you do see people with very legit swimming backgrounds - pwb, Chris S, the annoying Smith and good Smith (if they'd ever swim again), Rowdy, Switzer, knelson, Braun, Fortress, Andersen, KPN, etc. Rather than use them as my competition basis, I walk around muttering their names as inspirations for improving, and then hoping they get the stomach bug before nationals. Good observation - Any suggestions for how an adult-onset swimmer might avoid or combat the mentality of using folks like these as competitive benchmarks?
  • Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. Not to brag, but I am in this exact situation. I came to swimming in my mid 30s and have improved to a level that I competed at Nationals for the first time this year at age 46. What are my motivations? It comes in levels. Or steps. My first big target was to qualify for Nationals. That wasn't an original goal when I first got into swimming (I wanted to do triathlons) but it became a target as I improved and got closer to the NQTs. Now that I've accomplished that one, I looked at a level of reaching the midpoint of Nationals competitors in my AG. I did that in one event this first time out. The other events, I still have that goal. For the event that I did beat the average National competitor, I look at how far from top 10 I am. Definitely some work to do. But it gives me some focus to try to figure it out. I know its possible for someone my age to go that fast. How can I get there? If I can reach that, then I'll focus on moving up within the top 10. It is difficult to look at the top times in my AG and see the differences from where I am. I don't know if I'll ever reach that level. But I think the process of taking small steps is the right one. Having somewhat reasonable and attainable intermediate goals. Continue to figure out how to improve. Step by step. Bit by bit. I'm going to see where it goes. But the other really relevant motivating factor is that I am competing against myself. I am regularly setting new PRs. That is a huge motivating force that the vast majority of AG swimmers who swam competitively when young don't experience. They are trying not to lose what they once had in most cases. It is a different mindset to reasonably expect PRs. It is really fun to go out and lay one down. To see that your work is paying off. That I think is the bigger motivator, this internal one.
  • Not to brag, but I am in this exact situation. I came to swimming in my mid 30s and have improved to a level that I competed at Nationals for the first time this year at age 46. What are my motivations? It comes in levels. Or steps. My first big target was to qualify for Nationals. That wasn't an original goal when I first got into swimming (I wanted to do triathlons) but it became a target as I improved and got closer to the NQTs. Now that I've accomplished that one, I looked at a level of reaching the midpoint of Nationals competitors in my AG. I did that in one event this first time out. The other events, I still have that goal. For the event that I did beat the average National competitor, I look at how far from top 10 I am. Definitely some work to do. But it gives me some focus to try to figure it out. I know its possible for someone my age to go that fast. How can I get there? If I can reach that, then I'll focus on moving up within the top 10. It is difficult to look at the top times in my AG and see the differences from where I am. I don't know if I'll ever reach that level. But I think the process of taking small steps is the right one. Having somewhat reasonable and attainable intermediate goals. Continue to figure out how to improve. Step by step. Bit by bit. I'm going to see where it goes. But the other really relevant motivating factor is that I am competing against myself. I am regularly setting new PRs. That is a huge motivating force that the vast majority of AG swimmers who swam competitively when young don't experience. They are trying not to lose what they once had in most cases. It is a different mindset to reasonably expect PRs. It is really fun to go out and lay one down. To see that your work is paying off. That I think is the bigger motivator, this internal one. Congrats on your accomplishments - and what a great strategy for success! This is good advice for any athlete, at any age.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hope this doesn't get started again! What next? VO2 max shampoo? I think the forum could use some lively discussion resulting in a temporary ban of posting privileges!
  • Former Member
    I hear a lot of Masters swimmers say, "I'll never be that fast." My answer is always, "Why not?" Geek, always the wise one with straight and to the point answers. I've never looked to the Top 10 and National/World Record holders as benchmarks for my swimming. I do enjoy seeing what adults are capable of doing in the pool when they get beyond their 20's and 30's, but my own benchmarks and goals are really just about improving upon what I've already done. Or, depending upon the level of work I've put into my training, just attempting not to slow down too much!
  • I am surprised mmlr38 has not responded to this thread since he would seem to be a good example.As I understand it he did not have a competitive swimming background,joined Masters in his 30s, and has several TT pool times to his credit. I've been watching this thread and haven't responded yet. The fact that the OP hasn't posted back made me wonder if the thread was abandoned. But thanks for thinking of me, Allen :) My story: I was a life-long runner but a serious knee injury forced me to hang up the running shoes at the age of 34. I had dabbled in triathlons in my 20s, culminating with an IronMan distance event before the knee pain got too bad, so I knew how to swim and was comfortable in the open water. But I had no formal swim training of any kind. I remember my sister and I taking the standard summer swim lessons class when we were kids, so I knew how to swim, but I didn't know how to do any strokes, turns, etc. or really know anything about competitive swimming. In 2011, at the age of 34, I did my first swim-only event; a local USMS sanctioned 5K open water swim. At the time I wasn't swimming with a masters team and was only swimming 2 days a week (about 2500 yards a session) in an aqua-fitness class at the YMCA. I had no idea what to expect, but it turned out I won the event! At that point a friend convinced me to join the masters team. I hadn't started swimming with them previously because I was afraid I'd be too slow and not doing flip turns nor really knowing any of the strokes was a deterrent. I trained with the masters team starting in August 2011 and at my first-ever swim meet in December 2011, I earned my first Top Ten (TT) time in the 1500 SCM freestyle, despite the fact I didn't do flip turns :) Since then, as Allen mentioned, I've gone on to earn several (14) TT times, even earning my first non-freestyle TT last year in the 400 IM. I expect to add a few more TT times this LCM season. So, YES! It is absolutely possible to start swimming at the age of 31 with the intent to compete AND to be successful in doing so. If anything, I am a good example of that. But one thing I've learned is that you have to work hard -- very hard! I'm sure everyone does who is successful at the national level. But unlike people who had coaching and competitive swim training when they were younger, especially through college, very little will come naturally for someone who didn't practice turns or technique repeatedly for years and years. It's a constant mental battle to fight yourself to keep technique good. Every practice it's important to focus on technique instead of worrying too much about keeping up or swimming as fast as possible. And there are so many technique points to focus on from breathing and turns to catch and body position. And if you're interested in IM events, you can multiply those technique points by four! Having good body awareness and control will be key to success. Flip turns used to be exceptionally challenging every time I did them. Finally, after doing them for 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 3.5 years or so, they've become much more natural. So it is possible to "teach an old dog new tricks" so to speak. I'm still not as good at turns as most people of my ability level, and probably never will be, but I just keep focusing in improving. It's a lot of fun to continually improve! A lot of the other responses to this thread that encourage competing against yourself are very true. While I do use the TT times for motivation, more than anything I really love seeing my times improve as compared to what I swam previously. fatboy's post at #14 in this thread really resonates with me. I think that's sound advice!
  • :applaud: :cheerleader:to you, Fly Trap- and, Rob H, too! It was awesome watching you guys swim at Spring Nationals (well, on the live feed on my computer, that is) and seeing what you two have accomplished. You guys are an inspiration!
  • Former Member
    You are doing well RobH. Just keep at it.
  • Thanks Elaine! Watching you recover from your injury so quickly and be so positive throughout the journey has also been inspirational. I'm excited to see you swim in Greensboro next spring.