Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
  • Why not?? Join a team after learning to swim and go for it!
  • Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging. Please clarify "compete". Compete at the Olympic level? Compete in U.S. Masters? Please also clarify "start". Start learning how to swim at 31? :confused:
  • I learned to swim at age 30 and began swimming in Masters meets a few years after that. :applaud: Me too! I learned to swim at 40 or 41 (I forgot which), my first meet was Feb 5 2010 at 43. Though I don't expect to reach top 10 (or top 20 for that matter) level this next decade or two, I will continue to train as if I was. Regarding swimming for fitness vs competition, if competition wasn't an option I would still be swimming, not for fitness, I couldn't endure that, but because I enjoy being in the water.
  • Please clarify "compete". Compete at the Olympic level? Compete in U.S. Masters? Please also clarify "start". Start learning how to swim at 31? ...or even competing against yourself. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I learned to swim at age 30 and began swimming in Masters meets a few years after that.
  • ...or even competing against yourself. Dan Exactly! Good point, Dan. :applaud:
  • Former Member
    Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging. If your approach is correct, which means appropriate fitness and technique training, as well as if you have enough motivation and time I'd say: Definitely Yes! Unfortunately what most adults don't have is time, cause we have to work to support our family. I am 37 now and I started to swim 2-3 months ago (once or twice a week only, due time restraints and 1 hour per each training) with enough knowledge about the technique, but no practical experience how to apply that knowledge myself. I swam 50 SCM Free in over 1,5 minutes the first time. Now I lost almost 18 lbs (diet and a little fitness) and last Saturday I made 47 sec for the same distance. Of course I will never reach the Olympics, but I am sure that I will improve my time till the next Masters meeting in winter. And I know people at the age 41-42 who can swim 50 LCM Free in under 23 sec. Of course they've started to learn swimming while they were kids, but it doesn't matter so much. Cause only thing you need to obtain is appropriate fitness and technique level.
  • Former Member
    The world record for 40-44 is 23.31, so this seems slightly dubious... Not everyone has the intention to compete or register WRs. Some people just have different goals. There is always someone better than us and even better than any of the current Olympians or record holders, whom we don't know and who had not the chance / opportunity or willingness to show up.
  • Swimming is timeless. No matter why you do it.
  • There is always someone better than us and even better than any of the current Olympians or record holders, whom we don't know and who had not the chance / opportunity or willingness to show up. Yes, there definitely plenty of people better than me that just aren't competing. I don't think there are people better than Michael Phelps who are not.