Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. Not to brag, but I am in this exact situation. I came to swimming in my mid 30s and have improved to a level that I competed at Nationals for the first time this year at age 46. What are my motivations? It comes in levels. Or steps. My first big target was to qualify for Nationals. That wasn't an original goal when I first got into swimming (I wanted to do triathlons) but it became a target as I improved and got closer to the NQTs. Now that I've accomplished that one, I looked at a level of reaching the midpoint of Nationals competitors in my AG. I did that in one event this first time out. The other events, I still have that goal. For the event that I did beat the average National competitor, I look at how far from top 10 I am. Definitely some work to do. But it gives me some focus to try to figure it out. I know its possible for someone my age to go that fast. How can I get there? If I can reach that, then I'll focus on moving up within the top 10. It is difficult to look at the top times in my AG and see the differences from where I am. I don't know if I'll ever reach that level. But I think the process of taking small steps is the right one. Having somewhat reasonable and attainable intermediate goals. Continue to figure out how to improve. Step by step. Bit by bit. I'm going to see where it goes. But the other really relevant motivating factor is that I am competing against myself. I am regularly setting new PRs. That is a huge motivating force that the vast majority of AG swimmers who swam competitively when young don't experience. They are trying not to lose what they once had in most cases. It is a different mindset to reasonably expect PRs. It is really fun to go out and lay one down. To see that your work is paying off. That I think is the bigger motivator, this internal one.
  • Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. Not to brag, but I am in this exact situation. I came to swimming in my mid 30s and have improved to a level that I competed at Nationals for the first time this year at age 46. What are my motivations? It comes in levels. Or steps. My first big target was to qualify for Nationals. That wasn't an original goal when I first got into swimming (I wanted to do triathlons) but it became a target as I improved and got closer to the NQTs. Now that I've accomplished that one, I looked at a level of reaching the midpoint of Nationals competitors in my AG. I did that in one event this first time out. The other events, I still have that goal. For the event that I did beat the average National competitor, I look at how far from top 10 I am. Definitely some work to do. But it gives me some focus to try to figure it out. I know its possible for someone my age to go that fast. How can I get there? If I can reach that, then I'll focus on moving up within the top 10. It is difficult to look at the top times in my AG and see the differences from where I am. I don't know if I'll ever reach that level. But I think the process of taking small steps is the right one. Having somewhat reasonable and attainable intermediate goals. Continue to figure out how to improve. Step by step. Bit by bit. I'm going to see where it goes. But the other really relevant motivating factor is that I am competing against myself. I am regularly setting new PRs. That is a huge motivating force that the vast majority of AG swimmers who swam competitively when young don't experience. They are trying not to lose what they once had in most cases. It is a different mindset to reasonably expect PRs. It is really fun to go out and lay one down. To see that your work is paying off. That I think is the bigger motivator, this internal one.
Children
No Data