Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • However, if you look at the very top of most age groups you do see people with very legit swimming backgrounds - pwb, Chris S, the annoying Smith and good Smith (if they'd ever swim again), Rowdy, Switzer, knelson, Braun, Fortress, Andersen, KPN, etc. Rather than use them as my competition basis, I walk around muttering their names as inspirations for improving, and then hoping they get the stomach bug before nationals. Good observation - Any suggestions for how an adult-onset swimmer might avoid or combat the mentality of using folks like these as competitive benchmarks?
  • However, if you look at the very top of most age groups you do see people with very legit swimming backgrounds - pwb, Chris S, the annoying Smith and good Smith (if they'd ever swim again), Rowdy, Switzer, knelson, Braun, Fortress, Andersen, KPN, etc. Rather than use them as my competition basis, I walk around muttering their names as inspirations for improving, and then hoping they get the stomach bug before nationals. Good observation - Any suggestions for how an adult-onset swimmer might avoid or combat the mentality of using folks like these as competitive benchmarks?
Children
No Data