2015 Worlds / Who's doping & who's clean

2015 Worlds / Who's doping & who's clean 2015 Worlds Results Day 1 Sun, Aug 2, 2015 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8
  • As a forum moderator, I’d like to point out that this thread was started to talk about “2015 Worlds”. If you wish to post about World Championships in Kazan, please feel free to do so. If you wish to continue the off topic posts, you do so at your peril. If you feel I’m being unfair in trying to un-hijack this thread, Please sent me a PM.
  • Without taking sides on the Hosszu debate I will say there sure have been a lot of swimmers who have trained at USC that have tested positive. What's up with that? Just dumb luck or is there something more going on?
  • Is it that we have come to expect phenomenal results from the American team or is the swimming world just that much better? But with the exception of Ledecky, the American swimmers seem mortal. It’s amazing to see and follow these great swims, but I don’t get to wave my flag around too much.
  • Is it that we have come to expect phenomenal results from the American team or is the swimming world just that much better? But with the exception of Ledecky, the American swimmers seem mortal. I think there are a combination of things this year. One problem is the US team was selected a year ago. There are a few "hot" swimmers that didn't even make the team. For example, Katie Meili's Pan Am time would have won the women's 100 ***. No Coughlin, no Phelps. In contrast, some of the swimmers who made the team just aren't swimming that well.
  • Perhaps Franklin should train at Cal again. Haha. Yeah, she must be discouraged to have fallen so far in the last two years in her Olympic events. I can't stand her interviews. It's like she's been talking to her publicist too much. Be real. Hosszu finally had a mediocre swim in the 200 fly semis. I don't know why she is swimming the 100 and 200 free ... Iron lady hubris. I was bummed to see Murphy swim so much slower in the 100 back in the finals of the mixed medley relay. Hope he rebounds with a good 200.
  • I think there are a combination of things this year. One problem is the US team was selected a year ago. There are a few "hot" swimmers that didn't even make the team. For example, Katie Meili's Pan Am time would have won the women's 100 ***. No Coughlin, no Phelps. In contrast, some of the swimmers who made the team just aren't swimming that well. And no Conger ... or Worrell. Plus, we suck at the sprints for the most part, which is due to our training culture. I think it's embarrassing to have virtually no one in the 50 strokes. There is a reason Coughlin always swims the 50 free -- it makes her 100 faster. There are way too many 100 finals with no swimmers from the US.
  • Plus, we suck at the sprints for the most part, which is due to our training culture. I think it's embarrassing to have virtually no one in the 50 strokes. There is a reason Coughlin always swims the 50 free -- it makes her 100 faster. There are way too many 100 finals with no swimmers from the US. I agree. It's shameful. The excuse has always been that we don't want to 'focus' on events that aren't even contested in the Olympics. I think that's total BS. How about at least offer those events at the Worlds selection meet? Leave it to the individual swimmers whether or not to focus on these events. There are probably some swimmers who could make the team in the stroke 50s who wouldn't make the team in other events. I don't understand why they should be left home. We should be striving for more opportunities for our swimmers, not less.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    There are a few masters swimmers we could ask the same questions about, too. Yes there are.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    But we don't go around leveling accusations, because we have the decency to not pass judgement without evidence. Right? If by "evidence" you mean a positive drug test, then you will just have to wait until she gets careless and fails one.