Trying to get back in the water

I need some motivation!! Ive been out of the water for 4months and I cant get myself to jump back into the pool!!
  • If it's a problem of not knowing where to start, maybe something simple--like if you were swimming 3-4 thousand yards, try just 1500-2000 and see how that goes. Or there's this: http://www.swimplan.com It's a site that takes into account your stroke interests, pace, distance, etc., and makes up workouts. You can adjust for how many (or few) yards you want to swim. Useful tool!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    What I did was buy a membership at my local JCC swim club. I'm always bothered when I'm paying for something I'm not using. That was motivation enough for me!
  • Four months is not that long of a time to stay out of the water, so you should be able to get back into it fairly quickly once you get started. This might help! swimswam.com/5-keys-to-finding-the-motivation-to-train/
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Any interest in competing? I know when I am signed up (or even considering) a race or event it motivates me to get back to training. (any sport, not just swimming)
  • Just remember, there is a difference between distance and intensity. A good rule of thumb is not to try to increase intensity more than 10% per week. (The law of diminishing returns will tell you when you're intense enough!)
  • I jumped in yesterday and swam 1500 meters. It hurt quite a bit but the swimming high after the workout was really worth it. Looking to hit about 1500 meters for the next two weeks and then slowly crank it up to about 3500meters a day.
  • I think I took your motivation from you. On August 1 I got back into the water after a 34 year absence. I've been working out as much as possible since then. I didn't like the prospect of becoming a couch potato.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Here are some quotes to motivate you: Swimming: The only sport that takes art form, complete physical strength, and extensive technique to do correctly. It’s those that push to the breaking point and refuse to break who will achieve greatness! It’s not a real day if you haven’t watched the sun rise from the swimming pool. Swimming makes me feel…tired, wet, free, amazing, complete, like I am someone, epic, calm, myself, fab, whole, strong, boom, at home, happy, alive. Source: www.coolnsmart.com/.../