Can someone explain me K. Hosszu

Former Member
Former Member
I don't get it in my mind. I try but I just can't... She is swimming every weekend a meet and is swimming almost everything in a short periode of time. Doesn't matter what. 4IM, 200 Butterfly, 200 back or even 1500 F...like nothing. But she can't stop, she is moving forward to the next meet and swimming faster and harder there and moving on.... Who and what can stop her, I mean there must be a limit...there must be a limit!? What do you think guys?
  • Katinka Hosszu has been swimming like this for many years at least when she is swimming the FINA Grand Prix Circuit meets. She has a great lactate tolerance/recovery and is extremely talented especially in the short course format. She has not equaled that in LCM yet but if she keeps on improving could challenge the top swimmers in the world this summer in Kazan. Now you have mentioned in a prior post that you suspected that she was on drugs and was not being caught with the current drug testing that is done in and out of competition. Here is the link to that discussion starting on post 5: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Until she fails a drug test, we have to accept these swims as legitimate and that she as not reached her limit of not performing to the expectations that she has set. She along with others have been doing this for many years and has built herself up to go to a competition every week and swim exceptionally and this what Phelps used to do about 10 to 12 years ago every weekend he swam and he didn't seem to have a limit either.
  • I don't know much about her. I will need to find out more about this really fast swimmer.
  • I think that she does the opposite of many swimmers and targets the in-season short course and long course (to some extent) meets (or the $ that you can get from them), and as a result does very well at them. Additionally, the more and more workload she takes on at these meets, the more that they serve as 'training' for her. I agree and it's a model that maybe should be emulated more in swimming. In most other sports athletes are expected to perform at the highest level throughout the majority of the year. Swimming is an outlier in the notion that we should reserve our peak performances for a couple times per year.
  • I have had the pleasure of watching her train (with her husband as her coach) for a number of weeks. Her sets are long and hard with little rest and her effort unrelenting. I watched her swim 3 hours, twice daily, with 2 hours of dryland in between. In other words, she works incredibly hard. She is tiny by swimming standards, and while muscular, I don't think she is overdeveloped. The best part is that she and her husband are really nice people. I would hope that her successes are the product of her amazing work ethic and desire to win. She has earned a lot of money and continues to give back to her sport in her country as a result.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    In all honesty, while it is quite feasible that she and many other elite swimmers are doping in some way, her lack of conversion to LCM suggests that she is not superhuman.. I think that she does the opposite of many swimmers and targets the in-season short course and long course (to some extent) meets (or the $ that you can get from them), and as a result does very well at them. Additionally, the more and more workload she takes on at these meets, the more that they serve as 'training' for her. I imagine that we've all experienced the phenomenon that no matter how hard we try in a race pace set, an actual race is always harder....
  • Former Member
    Generally every swimmer likes to swim. However some swimmers just love it. Probably she indeed feels good in the pool and that is what drives her further. It is easy and common to a human being to say that someone is on drugs if he/she performs better than him. However this would not be fair. What if you swam like her w/t drugs and I tell that you're on them?! How would you feel? I saw her once during a meet in Europe and I saw in her eyes that spark of "madness" about something, so she's mad about swimming. As long as she maintains that spark she will swim like a hell or until someone else brings fire.
  • Former Member
    here we go again...Monaco Mare Nostrum: 400 IM 4:34..the first 200m in WR split...ok just relax. About 20 minutes later or maybe less 200m F 1:56... like nothing. 1:56 after 400IM ok check. and 15 minutes later 200back..2:08...yeah we belive everything. Is just a matter of training and training and yeah training... Like Armstrong everything is possible... People wake up!!
  • Former Member
    here we go again...Monaco Mare Nostrum: 400 IM 4:34..the first 200m in WR split...ok just relax. About 20 minutes later or maybe less 200m F 1:56... like nothing. 1:56 after 400IM ok check. and 15 minutes later 200back..2:08...yeah we belive everything. Is just a matter of training and training and yeah training... Like Armstrong everything is possible... People wake up!! It looks like there was about 30m between her first and second race and a little over 20m between the second and third race. Also doing the first half of a race at WR pace and then finishing the race 6 seconds off world record pace I wouldn't say is an amazing accomplishment.