Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
  • Well I can't tell you if this is the most sound advice or not but I'm currently training for the 400IM, 200 ***, 200 IM & 100 *** for an LCM event in a SCY pool. My typical events are 50, 100, 200 *** & 200 Free. Occasionally I will throw a longer free race in the mix. In the past, I've done over distance sets to compensate for LCM. For example, on full distance sets do up to a 250-300 ***. Or if doing 100's repeats do 125s instead. Also remember that doing a set of 5-10 100s on short rest IS training for the 200. If you can do a set of 100s on a challenging interval, you're going to be able to do well in the 200. Another thing I try to do is only do a pullout for every other wall...not even an open turn. Just touch, turn, NO PUSH, swim. It does still give a millisecond break but not as much as a 5-10m pullout does. But you have to consider this battle carefully because practicing beautiful pullouts is a big deal and it can create quite the accumulated oxygen debt which is a good this to practice. Currently, I'm finding training for the 400IM is setting me up beautifully for the 200 *** in any course without too much extra attention to that specific event. I'm actually pretty excited about it and can't wait to see how my 200 *** turns out this summer.
  • Thanks for the advice! After reading it, I am feeling a little more comfortable and confident with my training.
  • Having access to LCM regularly puts you at an advantage over many who never or seldom swim LCM except at meets. m2tall2's advise is excellent.The main secret to swimming LCM is to be psyched for it.You get to SWIM without those turns getting in the way every time you get your stroke flowing.
  • The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. No, not a problem. I suspect you're getting in a lot more long course training than many. Honestly I wouldn't do anything differently when you're training SC.
  • Hello all, My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). Alex M. Three days a week should be enough to get accustom to LCM. To simulate the 50, 100, 200 LCM breaststroke try 75, 150, 300 SCY - need to figure out what times you should do at these distances and do quality swims.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    For a long time, SCY training for LCM competition was considered to be suboptimal and a real hindrance to American NCAA swimmers. Then in the early 2000's, this one guy in Maryland decided to embrace SCY training, and everyone said he was wasting his swimmers' time and talent. Turns out, the guy in Maryland was Bob Bowman and it turned out okay, to the tune of 18 olympic gold medals. Why did 2008 Phelps kick everyone's tails off the walls? Because his days in SCY had him doing double the turn work of anyone else. In all seriousness though, mixing SCY with 3 LCM sessions per week is a good training strategy. My advice would be to do a lot of 25's working on maintaining technical excellence when you're in the short course pool and use the long course pool to do most of your aerobic base work. If you absolutely feel you need to simulate LCM work when you're in a yard pool, try doing a few sets where you turn shy of the wall, not making contact. Using only your stroke to power yourself back up to swim speed will be a somewhat reasonable simulation of a no-turn 50. www.youtube.com/watch
  • I use short course days to work on intensity and speed type swims, and long course days to work on strength and endurance. If I swim long course much more than 3 times a week I get so tired I can't really muster up a hard pace on sprints. I think it's great to mix it up. Variety is the spice of life, it keeps it interesting and gives you a focal point for each workout. With all this said please keep in mind I'm a 59 year old female who is totally un-elite in the sport of swimming.
  • The closest LCM pool to me is 2.5 hours away. As such, I've actually never done an LCM workout in my life, but am a much better LCM swimmer than I am SCY. I don't have problems with strength and endurance on open water events or LCM meets. For me, I think SCY is the best way to train because it forces me to work more on turns and breath control. The act of actually swimming isn't the hard part...it's all that darn turning and breath holding!
  • I only wish I could get 3 LCM workouts a week in. The reality is more like 3 a year.
  • The closest LCM pool to me is 2.5 hours away. As such, I've actually never done an LCM workout in my life, but am a much better LCM swimmer than I am SCY. I don't have problems with strength and endurance on open water events or LCM meets. For me, I think SCY is the best way to train because it forces me to work more on turns and breath control. The act of actually swimming isn't the hard part...it's all that darn turning and breath holding! Just to add a data point, my experience is similar. I've done about three LCM workouts total in my life, but have often been quite pleased with my swims at LCM meets. Here are some ideas, some of which have already been noted: 1) Three LCM workouts per week sounds excellent, you get lots of LCM practice, but can use the SCY days to work on turns, raw speed and other things more suited to a SCY pool. 2) Swimming SCY 225s in practice helps to get used to the extra distance. I find that the strategy for swimming a 225 SCY is quite different. The 225 breaks nicely into thirds, (3x75) whereas the 200 LCM is usually thought of as 2x100 or 4x50. Nevertheless a 225 SCY gives a time that is often a reasonable proxy for what I can do 200 LCM. I started a thread about it some time ago. You may view it here: forums.usms.org/showthread.php 3) Continuing along the same idea, race pace efforts of 3x75 on an interval that gives about 15s rest seem to be good training for 200 LCM. 4) Swim 100s with "phantom turns" at the 25 and 75. (Phantom turn = turn but don't touch the wall.) This is especially valuable for fly and *** as it helps get used to NOT having the wall. This is discussed in post #2 and post #7 above. 5) In kick sets, do "tombstone kick." (Tombstone kick = hold the kick-board vertically to present the maximum resistance to forward motion.) This will make each 25 take a lot longer and help you get used to the long duration of kicking between turns. 6) One summer I trained in a SCM pool. That worked out great! 7) Last summer I did most of my training in a 49-yard pool and that was actually very good too, once I got used to it. 8) Keep training hard. You are going to be fine.