Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
Parents
  • Well I can't tell you if this is the most sound advice or not but I'm currently training for the 400IM, 200 ***, 200 IM & 100 *** for an LCM event in a SCY pool. My typical events are 50, 100, 200 *** & 200 Free. Occasionally I will throw a longer free race in the mix. In the past, I've done over distance sets to compensate for LCM. For example, on full distance sets do up to a 250-300 ***. Or if doing 100's repeats do 125s instead. Also remember that doing a set of 5-10 100s on short rest IS training for the 200. If you can do a set of 100s on a challenging interval, you're going to be able to do well in the 200. Another thing I try to do is only do a pullout for every other wall...not even an open turn. Just touch, turn, NO PUSH, swim. It does still give a millisecond break but not as much as a 5-10m pullout does. But you have to consider this battle carefully because practicing beautiful pullouts is a big deal and it can create quite the accumulated oxygen debt which is a good this to practice. Currently, I'm finding training for the 400IM is setting me up beautifully for the 200 *** in any course without too much extra attention to that specific event. I'm actually pretty excited about it and can't wait to see how my 200 *** turns out this summer.
  • Well I can't tell you if this is the most sound advice or not but I'm currently training for the 400IM, 200 ***, 200 IM & 100 *** for an LCM event in a SCY pool. My typical events are 50, 100, 200 *** & 200 Free. Occasionally I will throw a longer free race in the mix. In the past, I've done over distance sets to compensate for LCM. For example, on full distance sets do up to a 250-300 ***. Or if doing 100's repeats do 125s instead. Also remember that doing a set of 5-10 100s on short rest IS training for the 200. If you can do a set of 100s on a challenging interval, you're going to be able to do well in the 200. Another thing I try to do is only do a pullout for every other wall...not even an open turn. Just touch, turn, NO PUSH, swim. It does still give a millisecond break but not as much as a 5-10m pullout does. But you have to consider this battle carefully because practicing beautiful pullouts is a big deal and it can create quite the accumulated oxygen debt which is a good this to practice. Currently, I'm finding training for the 400IM is setting me up beautifully for the 200 *** in any course without too much extra attention to that specific event. I'm actually pretty excited about it and can't wait to see how my 200 *** turns out this summer.
Children
No Data