Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
Parents
  • The closest LCM pool to me is 2.5 hours away. As such, I've actually never done an LCM workout in my life, but am a much better LCM swimmer than I am SCY. I don't have problems with strength and endurance on open water events or LCM meets. For me, I think SCY is the best way to train because it forces me to work more on turns and breath control. The act of actually swimming isn't the hard part...it's all that darn turning and breath holding! Just to add a data point, my experience is similar. I've done about three LCM workouts total in my life, but have often been quite pleased with my swims at LCM meets. Here are some ideas, some of which have already been noted: 1) Three LCM workouts per week sounds excellent, you get lots of LCM practice, but can use the SCY days to work on turns, raw speed and other things more suited to a SCY pool. 2) Swimming SCY 225s in practice helps to get used to the extra distance. I find that the strategy for swimming a 225 SCY is quite different. The 225 breaks nicely into thirds, (3x75) whereas the 200 LCM is usually thought of as 2x100 or 4x50. Nevertheless a 225 SCY gives a time that is often a reasonable proxy for what I can do 200 LCM. I started a thread about it some time ago. You may view it here: forums.usms.org/showthread.php 3) Continuing along the same idea, race pace efforts of 3x75 on an interval that gives about 15s rest seem to be good training for 200 LCM. 4) Swim 100s with "phantom turns" at the 25 and 75. (Phantom turn = turn but don't touch the wall.) This is especially valuable for fly and *** as it helps get used to NOT having the wall. This is discussed in post #2 and post #7 above. 5) In kick sets, do "tombstone kick." (Tombstone kick = hold the kick-board vertically to present the maximum resistance to forward motion.) This will make each 25 take a lot longer and help you get used to the long duration of kicking between turns. 6) One summer I trained in a SCM pool. That worked out great! 7) Last summer I did most of my training in a 49-yard pool and that was actually very good too, once I got used to it. 8) Keep training hard. You are going to be fine.
  • The closest LCM pool to me is 2.5 hours away. As such, I've actually never done an LCM workout in my life, but am a much better LCM swimmer than I am SCY. I don't have problems with strength and endurance on open water events or LCM meets. For me, I think SCY is the best way to train because it forces me to work more on turns and breath control. The act of actually swimming isn't the hard part...it's all that darn turning and breath holding! Just to add a data point, my experience is similar. I've done about three LCM workouts total in my life, but have often been quite pleased with my swims at LCM meets. Here are some ideas, some of which have already been noted: 1) Three LCM workouts per week sounds excellent, you get lots of LCM practice, but can use the SCY days to work on turns, raw speed and other things more suited to a SCY pool. 2) Swimming SCY 225s in practice helps to get used to the extra distance. I find that the strategy for swimming a 225 SCY is quite different. The 225 breaks nicely into thirds, (3x75) whereas the 200 LCM is usually thought of as 2x100 or 4x50. Nevertheless a 225 SCY gives a time that is often a reasonable proxy for what I can do 200 LCM. I started a thread about it some time ago. You may view it here: forums.usms.org/showthread.php 3) Continuing along the same idea, race pace efforts of 3x75 on an interval that gives about 15s rest seem to be good training for 200 LCM. 4) Swim 100s with "phantom turns" at the 25 and 75. (Phantom turn = turn but don't touch the wall.) This is especially valuable for fly and *** as it helps get used to NOT having the wall. This is discussed in post #2 and post #7 above. 5) In kick sets, do "tombstone kick." (Tombstone kick = hold the kick-board vertically to present the maximum resistance to forward motion.) This will make each 25 take a lot longer and help you get used to the long duration of kicking between turns. 6) One summer I trained in a SCM pool. That worked out great! 7) Last summer I did most of my training in a 49-yard pool and that was actually very good too, once I got used to it. 8) Keep training hard. You are going to be fine.
Children
No Data