Any Tips For Dealing With Fogged Up Googles?

I have these anti-fog swim googles, but today they kept fogging up when I swam in the indoor pool. I tried some anti-fog solution, spit, and even resorted to using toothpaste and washing it out before I swam today. I tried to let some water in them to try to keep them from fogging up, that didn't work. Left them at the bottom of the pool for a while, that didn't work...let them sit out, that didn't work. Had to swim laps without them, which left my eyes smarting the rest of the day. My only other option would be to try dive mask anti-fog solution. Does anyone have any other ideas?
  • I suggest baby NO TEARS shampoo if you're not going to rinse it out. But, in my experience...just keeping the insides of the goggles clean goes a long way toward keeping them from fogging up. The fog/moisture that forms inside the goggles adheres to proteins that are stuck to the inside of goggles. After just a few swims, that protein can build up from gunk in the water...body oils, lotions, hair conditioners, etc. Clean that gunk out with a mild soap and soft cloth and I find that alone usually keeps them fog-free. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I rub shampoo in my goggles before swimming, dip them in the pool a time or two before wearing them and I'm generally fog free. Alternatively, if I remember, I'll put a bit of shampoo in the goggles when showering after swim and just allow it to dry in them. When I swim next time they'll remain fog free for the majority of my workout.
  • Just thinking out loud here... My ophthalmologist had me use one of the Systane brand eye drops after my Lasik surgery several years ago. I notice that it has the word "Lubricant" in its name. I wonder if it might break the surface tension in the fog droplets on your goggles?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    One of my teammates uses contact lens solution. She keeps a bottle in her swim bag and puts a few drops of solution into each goggle lens before she puts the goggles on. I am not sure what sort of solution it is; I don't wear contacts. There seem to be a variety of types. I suspect it's one of these: Equate Moisture Last Multi-Purpose Contact Lens Solution or Equate Sterile Multipurpose Solution
  • I agree with Baby Shampoo. I bring a small (2 oz., about 3" tall) spray bottle filled with a dilute solution of baby shampoo and water (about 1/3 shampoo, 2/3 water) to every workout. If my goggles are getting foggy, between sets I'll spritz a little of this solution onto the inside of the goggles, then very quickly dunk them in the water to wash out the excess. Like magic, no more fog! Actually, it's not magic. What is fog? It's little droplets of water, right? The soap emulsifies the little droplets; the soap + water solution forms a film on the interior surface of the goggles, so they're no longer foggy. The point of dunking the goggles very quickly is to avoid washing all the soap out. You want to leave a little soap in there. The point of using baby shampoo is so that your eyes aren't irritated by the remaining small amount of soap. Here is a link to the bottles I use. They are fairly inexpensive. I go through 3 or 4 every year, because they tend to get lost, stepped on, etc. One full bottle lasts for about a month of daily workouts. Enduring thanks to Masters World Record Holder Diann Uustal for this very useful trick!
  • Baby Shampoo. I rub some on the inside before swim. I rinse it out with warm water. I do not touch the inside of the goggles while rinsing our after. Fog free for at least a couple of hours.
  • I use the foam hand soap from the locker room and it works very well.
  • Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. I use it and Swimming Science recommends it too.
  • Hey, I tried rinsing my googles with J&J Baby Shampoo in cold water the night before and that morning before going to the pool and it worked! It stayed fog free during my laps today! Thank you all for your help!