Imbalance

Former Member
Former Member
I have noticed that I seem to get more propulsion from my left side (I am left handed) when swimming. What are some ways to correct this? I usually do some of all 4 strokes but fly and free are my main concern.
  • Hi Nickel, it is great that you are able to observe the imbalance in your stroke and want to correct it. The key to a more efficient stroke is to develop strength on both sides of your body equally to ensure that you are swimming in a straight line (as opposed to zig-zagging through the water). Are you able to breathe bilaterally? If not, that might be one of the reasons for the imbalance you are noticing, since you are emphasizing one side more than the other. There are a variety of drills that you can implement into your workouts to develop a more symmetrical stroke and to reinforce bilateral breathing, from single arm to side kick to side-to-side. I would also suggest that you get your stroke analyzed to see if there are other areas of your stroke that need improvement (and if you need further persuasion on this point, check out the article I just wrote on this very topic! www.swimspire.com/.../) Good luck!
  • Most all of us are stronger with our dominant hand. Yes , try to breathe on both sides. At the gym, do a few more reps with your other hand/arm.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I know it must be from my form. I think you are Swimspire, I need to record myself. Orca1946, I don't do anything in the gym. Too old. My body can't handle the swims and gym but maybe I should try a few reps on my weak side only. Thank you both.
  • You are never too old! I am almost 69 and have had 4 hip operations & still go to the gym. Yes I modify things, but it still improves what I can do in the water.
  • I'm 65 and like orca use the gym too. Get a copy of Swimming Anatomy by Ian McLeod and review the sections especially on arms, legs and core. There are exercises to help strengthen your weaker side and significant discussions about muscle "balance," as I recall.