Brand New Here, Need Some Help with competition rules

Hello! I just joined USMS today. I live in Nebraska and joined through this state, but want to compete in an upcoming meet in Missouri. Is that allowed? Thank you!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    momof5, You are fortunate to live in Omaha where there is a great Masters coach, Todd Samland. I suggest you try to attend some of the Omaha Masters workouts. You can find out more information on their web site: www.omahamastersswimming.com/ Anna Lea
  • Michael, Thank you so much for all of the welcoming information. It is funny you'd mention entering an event I wouldn't have thought to. This being my first meet, every event is new. However, I have always thought of myself as a sprinter, not just in swimming, but anything athletic. Running, gymnastics, martial arts ... Nearly everything I have done or still do tends to favor quick ( 3-mins or less) bursts of intense, all-out energy. The only one that was different was running. While I didn't ever compete in track, I would've preferred the sprinting events. In adulthood I have run a couple of 5ks and that was quite the challenge and I struggled. That said, I have recently been able to swim 1000+ yards of freestyle during practice and I'm finding that I actually enjoy the longer distance. I have another meet coming up in November, so I just might try entering a longer distance event. And I like your suggestion of trying out every event at some point. Sounds like a fun challenge. I need help on my Fly, so at this point those events are out, but maybe by November I could try the 100 IM (SCY). Thanks again!
  • I would also like to welcome you to USMS and to our discussion forums as a new "Forumite." :welcome: I see in your profile that your favorite stroke is breaststroke. Come visit us frogs over on "The Breaststroke Lane" and go back and read past posts. You will learn A LOT if you read everything written by Allen Stark, a.k.a "King Frog." (I named him that after he broke the world record in his age group for the 200 breaststroke in 2011. He just broke it again here at the Masters World Championships in Montreal.) We always welcome tadpoles over in our frog pond! :cheerleader:
  • Hello Elaine. I have scanned the breaststroke lane and plan to read it more thoroughly when I have the time. I'm glad it's there. Thanks for the welcome, and congratulations to Allen and everyone else who attended Worlds! You are all quite the inspiration!
  • Momof5, Welcome to USMS! I hope you have a long, rewarding membership experience. While competition is the glue that holds our organization together, it is by no means used to evaluate anyone. It is far more an excuse to get into the pool with like minded people who want to find out how well their training is going. You will find people very supportive and helpful. Entering meets out of town or out of state are not only OK, but sometimes you will find the meet directors thanking you for taking the time to travel to their meet. When you joined, you did so through the "Local Masters Swimming Committee" (LMSC), a subsidiary organization of USMS. You are a national member right away, needing no permission to enter any sanctioned USMS meet anywhere in the country. The LMSCs (there are 52 of them) offer information and education to local members in various ways, most commonly a periodic newsletter. USMS also has a national office which can give general information about USMS and assist you in finding services or people who know what is what. If you have not already entered your meet, try entering an event you have never even thought of doing. You may find out that you really enjoy it! There are some people who arrange their schedule in order to swim every event offered by the end of the season.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    That was filmed at Jean Drapeau in Montreal. I raced my 400 free in that pool today :) They have new blocks in that pool now.