Brand New Here, Need Some Help with competition rules

Hello! I just joined USMS today. I live in Nebraska and joined through this state, but want to compete in an upcoming meet in Missouri. Is that allowed? Thank you!
  • I see several views and no replies on this. I've emailed the meet director, but haven't heard back yet. Am I correct in assuming most of you compete in your own state?
  • You can compete in USMS meets anywhere in the country. You're not limited to your own state.
  • Thank you! There are not any meets coming up in Nebraska and I'm just feeling the itch to get in there and compete. There is a meet in MO, three hours away, in a couple of weeks, so I think I'll just dive in and face the embarrassment of my first meet. Ever. My kids are on a swim team, which was my motivation. They are so much better than I am. Any tips on facing your first meet? Thanks again, both of you, for your feedback.
  • Tip #1. Have fun. Tip #2. See tip #1. I need to travel for meets as well, so leaving your state is no biggie. There is nothing to be embarrassed about either. Masters meets are full of people of all ages and abilities. Usually the word gets out that someone is competing for the first time ever (like you) and that sparks interest in the other swimmers. Not to point and laugh, but to encourage and cheer. take you kids for 2 reasons. First, they can give you advise at the meet, and second, they get a taste of what you endure during their meets (insert evil laugh here) :joker:. It's a great activity to share with your kids, that you all will appreciate in the future. Talk with them about how they prepare for a meet, and follow their lead. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself about achieving specific times, etc, and focus on the experience. Good luck!
  • ^^^ JP said it all. Just sit back and enjoy it. You'll probably be surprised at some times you'll end up doing with the race atmosphere. And definitely let people know it's your first race. They'll be more than willing to help out and get you heading the right direction. Oh and if you think about it, every event you do will be a personal record!! That's one of the joys of a first meet. :applaud: Bring a spare towel or two, as well as a jacket or shirt to stay warm between events. You'll be surprised how chilled you can get in a short time. And a little cooler full of snacks and water. Good luck!
  • Welcome & have fun! Yes, you can swim masters wherever there is a meet. If you can join a masters team for even more fun. Bring spare goggles & suit, contacts or glasses. Something to write your heats/lanes on & finish times. Talk with new swimmers at the meet - most of us are a friendly group.
  • Thank you all so much! I'm getting really excited. I'm still struggling with what events to select, but narrowing it down. And like flystorms said, whatever I enter will result in a personal best. I like that! Thanks to all of you and keep the input coming!
  • Anna, thank you for the recommendation. I have reached out to Coach Samland via email.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thank you all so much! I'm getting really excited. I'm still struggling with what events to select, but narrowing it down. And like flystorms said, whatever I enter will result in a personal best. I like that! Thanks to all of you and keep the input coming! You should review the swimming rules before the meet as there are rules like no wearing watches and if you are doing stokes other than free (front crawl) there are specific rules on how to turn and touch the wall. A good video explaining the most common disqualifications can be found here: www.youtube.com/watch It is Canadian but the rules are almost identical.