why masters swimming is so great!

i get out of a great race in the 200 free. sitting on the concrete of the ramp by the statue. a guy walks up and asks my name. yep im that person. i'm ....we used to swim against each other...38 years ago serious flashbacks to being 9. yes single digit age. had not seen him since the late 70s. really cant get much better than that!!!! steve
  • Thanks, Anna. I did hear from a local coach whose Masters group is very accommodating and I plan to try them this weekend. He was very kind and has a lot of newbie types like me in his group.
  • Denise - I hope you find a pool/team that will make you feel good. Soon you will feel at home in any depth pool/water. Good luck.
  • I can't wait to race against the big boys in the 45-49 age group. It should be fun! i'll make you the same suit offer i made to PWB. :D oh i know, since both of you cloud breathers are the same height, you get to share 1 suit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thanks, Anna. I did hear from a local coach whose Masters group is very accommodating and I plan to try them this weekend. He was very kind and has a lot of newbie types like me in his group. Please let me know how it goes! (Email is: Membership (at) usms (dot) org) Anna Lea
  • Thanks, orca1946. I am working with one of my teachers to get over my deep water phobia, and I can feel my confidence growing. The Masters here are assigned lanes at the whim of the county rec department, and they're not allowed to coach in any but those lanes. So that's the difficulty. If I want to swim with them, I just have to dive in. Fortunately, the group I found uses mostly shallow lanes, so it's a place for me to get started as I gain confidence and skill. Which is all that I was looking for. My apologies to everyone if my initial post was grumpy.
  • I am glad that you posted about your deep water issue. I have worked with many adults who also have good swimming potential and have some fears that they wrestle with. It is more common than people realize. I would suggest some one-on-one training with an experienced coach or instructor. Together you might work on your ability to tread water (if needed) as that is a great safety skill and should add to your comfort level. I have also had more than one adult swimmer who did not realize how buoyant he or she was. Some private lessons for you to discover how easily you can float (and much work it is to stay under the water) could really help. And please know that even the most advanced and experienced swimmers occasionally have a 'freak out' moment (like if they happen to take in some water), and that is what lane lines are for. In a pinch, you can throw an arm over a lane line and collect yourself. People can support you if they know what you are dealing with. As a coach, I would always want to know about any issue like this in order to support the swimmer properly. Some adults have had bad aquatic experiences as kids, experiences that have stayed with them. It is understandable and in my experience, corrected with some private lessons with the right kind of teacher. I wish you the best.
  • Wanted to add that I did my first Masters swim with the local group yesterday, and loved it. The coach was awesome. I've officially signed up and look forward to many more swims with them.
  • Cynthia, I posted a thank you but when I added a comment today the original post was deleted. I appreciate your support and encouragement. It's hard for some folks who have been swimming since childhood to understand what it's like for an adult who's afraid to just jump in the deep end. Your comments are very helpful to me. This journey does take determination. It's nice to know I'm not on my own. I am going to take your advice and put it to good use.
  • I did not swim as kid on a team, nor did I swim in college or after. I did not know how to do a flip turn, nor could I swim more than 25 yards comfortably when I started swimming 4 months ago. Now in my early 50s, I am swimming with a masters group and it is great. The coach is terrific, accommodating, and encouraging. I am slow, I am as slow if not slower than most 70 year-olds, but hey, I am in the water and working on getting more endurance, getting faster, and keeping good form.