why masters swimming is so great!

i get out of a great race in the 200 free. sitting on the concrete of the ramp by the statue. a guy walks up and asks my name. yep im that person. i'm ....we used to swim against each other...38 years ago serious flashbacks to being 9. yes single digit age. had not seen him since the late 70s. really cant get much better than that!!!! steve
Parents
  • I am glad that you posted about your deep water issue. I have worked with many adults who also have good swimming potential and have some fears that they wrestle with. It is more common than people realize. I would suggest some one-on-one training with an experienced coach or instructor. Together you might work on your ability to tread water (if needed) as that is a great safety skill and should add to your comfort level. I have also had more than one adult swimmer who did not realize how buoyant he or she was. Some private lessons for you to discover how easily you can float (and much work it is to stay under the water) could really help. And please know that even the most advanced and experienced swimmers occasionally have a 'freak out' moment (like if they happen to take in some water), and that is what lane lines are for. In a pinch, you can throw an arm over a lane line and collect yourself. People can support you if they know what you are dealing with. As a coach, I would always want to know about any issue like this in order to support the swimmer properly. Some adults have had bad aquatic experiences as kids, experiences that have stayed with them. It is understandable and in my experience, corrected with some private lessons with the right kind of teacher. I wish you the best.
  • I am glad that you posted about your deep water issue. I have worked with many adults who also have good swimming potential and have some fears that they wrestle with. It is more common than people realize. I would suggest some one-on-one training with an experienced coach or instructor. Together you might work on your ability to tread water (if needed) as that is a great safety skill and should add to your comfort level. I have also had more than one adult swimmer who did not realize how buoyant he or she was. Some private lessons for you to discover how easily you can float (and much work it is to stay under the water) could really help. And please know that even the most advanced and experienced swimmers occasionally have a 'freak out' moment (like if they happen to take in some water), and that is what lane lines are for. In a pinch, you can throw an arm over a lane line and collect yourself. People can support you if they know what you are dealing with. As a coach, I would always want to know about any issue like this in order to support the swimmer properly. Some adults have had bad aquatic experiences as kids, experiences that have stayed with them. It is understandable and in my experience, corrected with some private lessons with the right kind of teacher. I wish you the best.
Children
No Data