why masters swimming is so great!

i get out of a great race in the 200 free. sitting on the concrete of the ramp by the statue. a guy walks up and asks my name. yep im that person. i'm ....we used to swim against each other...38 years ago serious flashbacks to being 9. yes single digit age. had not seen him since the late 70s. really cant get much better than that!!!! steve
  • I ran into a girl I competed with 30 years ago. She still swims the same...FAST! Amazing weekend!
  • Similar experience. I finished my 400 IM and hear someone say "Kirk Nelson." I look up and it's a teammate from my age group days I hadn't seen since high school! Also worth note is after the meet I was eating in the airport and there are a couple guys standing next to me discussing USRPT. One of them ends up being Glenn Gruber. Then a couple minutes later Steve Unruh walks in. We could have quite the training technique discussion!
  • Kirk, It was nice to meet you AND to talk USRPT! Glenn
  • Two long lines cross paths at a common point
  • Have you decided to forgo your training with the club team and give usrpt a try for your events? No. I think the ultra short training is great and I've got no (major) issues with it, but I'd much rather swim with a team than on my own.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Similar experience. I finished my 400 IM and hear someone say "Kirk Nelson." I look up and it's a teammate from my age group days I hadn't seen since high school! Also worth note is after the meet I was eating in the airport and there are a couple guys standing next to me discussing USRPT. One of them ends up being Glenn Gruber. Then a couple minutes later Steve Unruh walks in. We could have quite the training technique discussion! Have you decided to forgo your training with the club team and give usrpt a try for your events?
  • I think the ultra short training is great and I've got no (major) issues with it, but I'd much rather swim with a team than on my own. Actually you CAN do USRPT as a team. Rushall has a paper he wrote that shows you how. Of course the difficult part is how to get everyone (or at least a lanes worth) to try it.
  • Actually you CAN do USRPT as a team. Rushall has a paper he wrote that shows you how. Of course the difficult part is how to get everyone (or at least a lanes worth) to try it. I'm sure you can, but I'm equally sure my coach isn't interested in trying it. :)
  • Also worth note is after the meet I was eating in the airport and there are a couple guys standing next to me discussing USRPT. One of them ends up being Glenn Gruber. Then a couple minutes later Steve Unruh walks in. We could have quite the training technique discussion! kirk, only if our buddy Stewart Carroll walks up for the discussion as well :D
  • kirk, only if our buddy Stewart Carroll walks up for the discussion as well :D not only do I miss all the great racing fun when I skip nationals but I miss all the good discussion too!! cant wait for San Antonio next year. I feel like I am going from age group swimming to big boy swimming next year since I age up and swim in the 45-49 age group. Talk about a seriously competitive age group!!