most feared event

Former Member
Former Member
poll of most feared event
  • Definitely the 1650. It is excruciating. I liken it to peeling your own skin back with one of those old sardine can openers. Next on the list is the 200 Fly, and the only reason it's second is b/c its shorter. True there's the risk of drowning when your core implodes on itself, but hey it's over quicker - not as bad as the 1650. 400 IM is almost easy compared to those to juggernauts of pain. Survive the fly, hang on in the backstroke, ***=rest, and free is a walk in the park. But what I most fear is not being able to swim any of them :bed: Any day I can make it through a set or a swim is a good day :cane:
  • Then you have never seen me swim the 200 breaststroke. Coaches use to ask my coach what drills I did for breaststroke, so they could take them out of their practices. I could make you look good. After racing Jeff Roddin in the 400 IM, some people asked "Who was that breaststroker in the lane next to you?" Breaststroke is perhaps his worst stroke. After first seeing me swim breaststroke, NOVA head coach Geoff Brown said "I remember when people used to swim breaststroke that way."
  • i know that feeling all too well chris. i workout with an olympic breaststroker (and multi time ncaa champion). so i asked him to look at my breaststroke. his analysis - just dont 4 guys passed me on the breaststroke leg of the 100im in greensboro. yes, it just 25yds. there is slow. there is an hourglass. there is a calendar. and then there is my breaststroke.
  • And my most feared event is the hour swim, but it wasn't an option. I'll be happy if I never do *that* again! I agree. The one hour swim is brutal. And you think (I think) that it should somehow mean something. That a 200 free after the one hour swim should be a piece of cake. still I hope the East Coast trounces the West Coast (much as we have utmost respect for the brawn of the West) but after this year I do not care I swear I have done my share of one hour swims for the East Coast this year marked my 12th. Barf. I can't figure out how to race anything, but I'm guessing that unless I could do slo-mo fly for 200 meters or yards, if I had to race it, I would actually die. And it's not the way I want to go. So I would say the 200 fly. In fact, I'll vote for it. izzzzz-o-belllll who today, even though I went to my happy place (pool), feels like this (hmm, little mad face went up by my title; well that's how I feel; please send cake).
  • Most feared? Anything with *** stroke. LOL! I feel like I come to a complete stop on that stroke. I admire all of y'all who can do it and do it well.
  • Most feared? Anything with *** stroke. LOL! I feel like I come to a complete stop on that stroke. I admire all of y'all who can do it and do it well. You don't have to be able to do it well to finish, simply complete it. I'm guessing perhaps 20% of the people from any masters group I've ever swum with can even physically/legally finish a 200 fly. But most could legally finish (eventually) anything else.
  • Hmmm, most feared. Do not feel I really fear any of these swims on an individual basis. How about an actual event like the Brute Challenge? 200Fly, 400IM, 1650FR. I missed the Brute Challenge in 2013 because I thought I had an extra month to complete it. However, I did complete the Brute Challenge in 2012, and 2011. I spoke with the coach at Davis Aquatics Masters, he stated "its all in the pacing." There is also the Ironman Postal Pentathalon: 200Fly, 200Back, 200Breast, 200Free, 400IM. I completed this for the last three years. I get a little anxious when I begin these events. I take a big breath then just go. This Saturday I will be completing the 400IM and 200IM in the same day. Event #2, and Event #9. Plus three other events in the same meet. I'm not sure why I chose these events, but choose them I did. Oh joy!? ------ I changed my mind. Doing the 400 IM, or 200 Fly as LCM's is challenging.
  • in college dual meets i was "allowed" do to the trio of hell 1000 200 fly 500 all in what...3hrs seems like a lot of beer always followed that night....for the carbs...for the carbs!!!
  • in college dual meets i was "allowed" do to the trio of hell 1000 200 fly 500 all in what...3hrs seems like a lot of beer always followed that night....for the carbs...for the carbs!!!I got that joy a few times. Good times, good times.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Without a shadow of doubt: the 200 fly, long course. I fear it so much I have never swum it, ever. In fact, I have never completed a legal 100 fly, either. I remember my father persuading me to enter it against my better judgement when I was a kid. I got to the 150 m mark and my arms just wouldn't come out of the water. I completed the event doing one arm fly. It was exhausting and humiliating. Have never tried it again since. I am still in fear of being unable to complete it. I couldn't possibly imagine attempting a 200 fly. It would be like climbing Mount Everest. For me there is no easy fly. When I swim fly, it always has to be fast to maintain momentum and keep my arms above the surface of the water. It requires such massive amounts of energy that it exhausts me after 50 m.