Best waterproof MP3 player?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, Searching around, Ive seen this is the biggest online forum for swimmers so I might as well ask here as I imagine most on here are experts.... Im looking to give as a gift in bit over a month a waterproof MP3 player. Now, she simply swims for exercise, not nothing professional or/and for competition. She will mostly use it in pool but I think it would be nice for it to be "ocean-ready" as well although this isnt a requirement. Size, Im not sure if it matters if it is 4GB or 8GB. Besides that, Im not sure what else information is needed to ask. Thank you all for your replies.
  • I like my iPod pretty well (and I normally shun most iOS things). It can be a little tinny sometimes, but it's great for long pool swims. The key is to get the right earpieces (which you may have to order separately - sometimes there are deals on Amazon to add them for free.) The short cord headphones work well and don't get tangled. I put my iPod on the back of my suit or goggle strap. The earbuds I used at first hurt under the cap, but the smaller, mushroom looking buds felt better. Also, a bit I found out later too, use a bit of Vaseline on the buds to help seal them and keep them in your ear better. Please don't wear them in open water or you won't hear what's about to hit you! www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2 www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2
  • I use an iPod Mini that was waterproofed. It works great but I'd like better ear buds. I'll try the vaseline trick. They work 80% of the time. The 20% drives me nuts. Butterfly is Not a Crime
  • My wife loves her SwimP3 by Finis.Bone conduction technology so it doesn't go in your ears and is very comfortable.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I haven't purchased one yet, but when I do it will probably be the Finis Neptune. It has good reviews and uses the bone conduction technology. I believe it is 4 gb and has a li-ion battery. It sells for $119.99 on swimoutlet. The downside with ear buds is getting a proper seal and not being able to hear coaches/lifeguards on deck.
  • Former Member
    I had good luck with my first or second generation SwimP3 (bone conduction), took a little up front time to convert ITunes to mp3s and load but really enjoyed the sound quality and ease of use once I had it loaded with songs. I had no problem with it the few times I did some open water training (very controlled group workout around bouys set up at 400yds).
  • Former Member
    I have finis neptune and I love it! It works by done conduction verse ears. One thing I really like is that if I stop to talk to someone I can still hear them without having to take anything out of my ear and then replace it. Weird but wonderful. I was skeptical at first but this had made my workouts much better. It is also very easy to download both iTunes and other formats of songs.
  • Former Member
    I see you are near Charlotte. Are you swimming in the Sunbelt Meet this weekend?
  • Former Member
    I did swim. Was great to see such a huge turn out. Wish I would have caught this earlier and maybe we could have caught up. Will you be going to the one in Greensboro in March? I love the Greensboro Aquatic Center. Keep in touch and hope to meet up sometime. I don't have a practice group where I live so I practice alone. Meets are always a joy to see what others are doing and meet fellow swimmers.
  • I love my Finis SwiMP3 player that family got me years ago. It took some getting around with iTunes (where most of my songs were located/uploaded/downloaded), but you can set it to automatically make an MP3 version (instead of iTunes' AAC version) when you add songs. Then it's just a matter of locating the song in your computer to transfer it to the SwiMP3 player. I've had my player for about 6 years and haven't had any issues, even the battery has lasted. Finis has had (in the past--I haven't checked recently) a deal where when your battery gets too old to charge, they'll replace your player at a discounted price. I haven't had to replace mine, though, so I don't know if the deal still stands. If you want to avoid the iTunes/MP3 hassle, though, the waterproofed iPod is a great alternative. (Created by a couple of college students who figured there had to be a way to seal an iPod for underwater use. Their idea consequently worked.) I've looked into getting one, but until my Finis one dies, I just can't justify the cost.
  • Former Member
    I did swim. Was great to see such a huge turn out. Wish I would have caught this earlier and maybe we could have caught up. Will you be going to the one in Greensboro in March? I love the Greensboro Aquatic Center. Keep in touch and hope to meet up sometime. I don't have a practice group where I live so I practice alone. Meets are always a joy to see what others are doing and meet fellow swimmers. I probably won't go to Greensboro. I'm looking at going to maybe Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, or Raleigh for those meets. Although if I decide to do YNATS I prob won't do the Raleigh one. I practice on my own as well because I don't like getting up that early to practice with the group. What age group were you in? I swam in the mens 30-34 age group. Last year I was the only one in my age group but this year there were more. This meet was awesome again and really my only complaint is it being so well run I didn't get a lot of rest lol. Did you see Ryan Lochte training in the warm up pool?