Shave year-round?

www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../36777.asp OK, Masters guys, who's going to start shaving year-round?
  • "1 s per 100" blah blah blah - does anyone every shave and NOT taper? I though so. So how do you know the 1s was from shaving and not from tapering? Furthermore, for those of us who are fuzz-impaired, there really isn't much "magic speedy sensation" after shaving. I have shaved without tapering when I wanted a good in season time without messing up my training schedule. Thats where I got the 1 sec/100. Another confirmation was,back in the techsuit era, I didn't get the same "shave and taper"time drop in my taper meet compared to an in season time in a techsuit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've never shaved. Does shaving really make you faster? I can't imagine that it would have any significant impact for those of us without a lot of hair, and from what I've read that seems to be supported by data. But perhaps it does help a bit? Screw data reports. I have first hand experience. Shaved, I can swim a lot faster in both meets and practice. You gain a new feel for the water by removing old skin for one. Two, those of us with hair, esp. on the body and legs, do have extra anchors. The hair does cause people to slow down when present. People without much hair may not be affected as much when they shave. Maybe they do gain a mental boost though. People with a lot of hair can see a big difference from shaved to unshaved. Mine might have been part mental but the 2nd 100 of a 200 fly always seemed easier shaved.
  • since i am short and fat and almost as furry as a wookie you can call me an Ewok. shave all year? oh heck no!!! the in growns on my chest and legs hurt so bad as it is just shaving for nats. when i did the reshave for the 400 free after 2 days off in italy the bathwater turned pink. not having to shave was probably the #2 biggest reason i loved the supersuits (you have to say it in the voice of Frozone from The Incredibles..."Honey, where is my supersuit?")
  • Mullen definitely makes some good points. I've always thought swimming has been too focused on the once or twice a year "peaking" thing. Why shouldn't we be able to swim fast all year? And I think many of us are so used to doing it this way we're actually afraid to shave or wear a tech suit at a non-taper meet. It's like we'll use up our mojo or something! By the way, That Guy shaves for just about every meet. I don't think he's taken it to the extreme of shaving in between meets, but he uses the theory of supercompensation to swim fast times at (ideally) every meet rather than put all his eggs in one basket and swim fast only at a couple taper meets per year.
  • I've never shaved. Does shaving really make you faster? I can't imagine that it would have any significant impact for those of us without a lot of hair, and from what I've read that seems to be supported by data. But perhaps it does help a bit? I only shaved once. I did 2 meets, both in the same pool, about 2 months apart. Tapered for both. My times for the non-shave meet were better than the one I shaved for. Considering all the drama involved with it, and the time involved, I've never done it since. And my times have only gotten faster :) I'd rather spend the time actually swimming, or stretching...anything productive.
  • when i did the reshave for the 400 free after 2 days off in italy the bathwater turned pink.Maybe if you shaved every week, you would get good enough at it to eliminate the literal blood bath. And while Mullen raises good points, I’m not sure how many times I can play the “Honey, will you shave my back” card before my wife lets the blade slip and severs my spine.
  • Former Member
    As long as it takes me to shave, forget it.
  • If you don't sacrifice your hair to the god of speed, you can't swim fast!
  • 3 hours? Psssh. I would have to clip for a day or so before I would start the razor and shaving cream. There isn't a masters meet worth that much troube. I would also have to have at least 3 clippers. One or two would always overheat.Have you tried a hedge trimmer, or maybe a chainsaw??
  • Former Member
    Have you tried a hedge trimmer, or maybe a chainsaw?? They ended up smoking up as well.