Cross Training Poll for USMS Magazine

Calling all USMS members. Your response to this post will be used to create an article in Swimmer magazine about cross training. What types of training do you most commonly do outside of the pool? How often? What cross training works the best, and what types are the least helpful for swimming? :bliss:
  • Adherents of the Rushall approach, not to mention the general principle of muscle specificity of training, would indicate that golf is no better--or worse--for swimming than weight lifting! If you golf like I do, at least you get to go into the water on a frequent basis to retrieve misfired shots in the sundry hazards. (Actually, I haven't played golf for many a year, but when I did play, creeks, ponds, lakes, and standing pools of water from recent thunder showers always seemed to have a magnetic effect upon my little dimpled orb.) As far as stretching goes, I thought that had been roundly debunked as causing more problems than it solves, increasing rather than decreasing injury rates, etc.? Biking and running, as far as I can see, do virtually nothing to improve swimming performance. In fact, the whole cross training concept is, I believe, excellent for general cardio fitness and strength, but hardly a recipe for improving ones times in the water (with the possible exception of JazzHands, who has his own theories of which I do not want to become ensnarled in debate.) Put me down in the Laura Val camp. As for yoga, well, the teacher of the class named me a junior instructor and because of this I am allowed to help young women with their poses. Why is mud wrestling not on the list?
  • As far as stretching goes, I thought that had been roundly debunked as causing more problems than it solves, increasing rather than decreasing injury rates, etc.? I have heard that is the case with many static stretches. Dynamic stretching appears to be where it's at these days. Why is mud wrestling not on the list? Don't forget jello!
  • I've been doing crossfit lately. I've been greatly enjoying it, and it has largely supplanted my swimming.
  • Dynamic stretching appears to be where it's at these days. Dynamic stretching of sports specific motions, you mean--in other words, swim in slow motion for a while to let the capillaries open up and the cartilaginous rust particles and other species of physiological corrosion gradually flake off your joints! I personally call this tai chi swimming. Why is tai chi swimming not on the official list of cross training activities? Not to mention competitive hot dog eating. I am certain there are plenty among us who engage in competitive eating training of one sort or another, without, perhaps, being entirely aware that this is what gluttony is, circa 2012. And on this note, back I retreat to await the binder of young women who I have faith will one day flock towards me, in need my assistant instructor's expertise in guiding their yoga poses, inside or outside a pool of Jell-O.
  • Calling all USMS members. Your response to this post will be used to create an article in Swimmer magazine about cross training. What types of training do you most commonly do outside of the pool? How often? What cross training works the best, and what types are the least helpful for swimming? :bliss: I have found that in addition to swimming 3 to 4 days per week, the following cross-training works best for me: Fast Walking: 2 to 3 miles, 2 days per week Stretching: 2 to 3 days per week Strength (missing from poll): 2 to 3 days per week
  • Biking and running, as far as I can see, do virtually nothing to improve swimming performance. If nothing else they are pretty good (better than swimming IMO) at taking/keeping weight off.
  • Biking and running, as far as I can see, do virtually nothing to improve swimming performance. In fact, the whole cross training concept is, I believe, excellent for general cardio fitness and strength, but hardly a recipe for improving ones times in the water And beer drinking is any better? :chug:
  • I think our long talk during the Baltimore/VA car ride sealed it for me. You're the only person I know who could have such a long conversation with Fort about swimming and come away having learned nothing. Serenity now! I am reminded once again of Marcus Aurelius, who said the following: The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart. Marcus Aurelius
  • You're the only person I know who could have such a long conversation with Fort about swimming and come away having learned nothing. That sounds like an excellent reason -- perhaps the best reason ever -- to have another long conversation with Fort about swimming. +1. Jedi level.
  • Cross-training means the exercise is intended to improve or supplement your swimming. If someone claimed they golfed as cross training for swimming, I would recommend they see a psychiatrist. I'm guessing you play tennis because it's fun, not because you think it's going to help you in the pool. Sir I take offense!! (just kidding) - However - I DO play tennis to cross train for my swimming. I absolutely hate running, but I know it would help my leg strength - I run a LOT playing tennis - I also feel that I improve my arm strength - especially as I change hands playing with my racquet. Tennis is very social - which is fabulous & something that is similar to swimming - I find swimming very social as well. Another thing tennis does for me is strengthen and tone my obliques - I tend to look a little bit like a refrigerator (no waistline) - tennis & the stretching it requires helps me with that. By playing tennis I use very different muscles than I do while swimming, so that has to be of benefit. Plus, it's nice to mix it up for your brain. I absolutely am addicted to swimming, but there's more to life than the pool. I think my swimming makes my tennis better and vice versa.