Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I said it was my opinion. I mean no offense. I just don't give much credence to meds anymore. Have a great rest of the week TPost2
  • Have any of you with classic migraine symptoms--aura which lasts for a while, then disappears, issuing into the pain phase (usually on one side of the head), which eventually gives way to the nausea and vomiting phase--noticed another odd symptom: a change in the scent of your sweat? My mother pointed out she could often tell when I was going to have a migraine because I started to smell a little different. I am terrible at describing smells, but it's a noticeable change--more pungent in the arm pits, but not like the stench you get from using the same gym shirt for a couple weeks without washing it. It's a unique smell, almost a tad skunky. Anyhow, just wondering if that is something any of you have experienced. For any of you interested in another migraineur's experience, I wrote a vlog about my last attack (they've become mercifully rare in my dotage, perhaps due to hardening of the arteries according to one headache doctor I interviewed a few years back.) You can check it out here: forums.usms.org/blog.php
  • I have good news to report so far. Summer practices started on Monday. They are 2 hours in LC. I have been taking precautions like NSAIDs and making sure I keep hydrated. On the way home I eat a banana as well. So far, no migraines after 2 very intense practices. I hope this keeps up and thank you all for the advice/help.
  • Anyone use marijuana to treat help migraines (that wants to admit to it, anyway)?
  • Anyone use marijuana to treat help migraines (that wants to admit to it, anyway)? Kirk, do you have a "friend" that is asking this question, or.... :bolt:
  • Kirk, do you have a "friend" that is asking this question, or.... :bolt: They were talking about medical marijuana on a radio show I listen to this morning. These pot dispensaries are all over Seattle now. It seems to work very well for treating pain and I'd certainly give it a try if I had the need!
  • noticed another odd symptom: a change in the scent of your sweat? My mother pointed out she could often tell when I was going to have a migraine because I started to smell a little different. Wow. My work brings me into contact with A LOT of migraineurs, but I have never heard of this. Folks with olfactory auras, yes, osmophobia, yes, body odor as trigger, yes.... but I've never heard of a migraineur whose family members noticed an actual change in the odor of the migraineur. Very very interesting. Has this always been the case? Maybe an autonomic response to migraine causing more perspiration than normal?
  • I have good news to report so far. Summer practices started on Monday. They are 2 hours in LC. I have been taking precautions like NSAIDs and making sure I keep hydrated. On the way home I eat a banana as well. So far, no migraines after 2 very intense practices. I hope this keeps up and thank you all for the advice/help. That's awesome. How are things going now? FYI, not sure if you already mentioned this or if anyone else did already, but I came across an article that talked about the importance of gradual warm ups in folks who are sensitive to exertional headaches. Just something to keep in mind that might also help-
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Anyone use marijuana to treat help migraines (that wants to admit to it, anyway)? Like I said, my migraines stopped in my teens.... I haven't myself read of marijuana being used medically to treat migraines, but it seems perfectly plausible. Is there any evidence out there? I would speculate that if you became a complete high-on you would never have another migraine. It might hurt your swimming career though. Incidentally, I guess the other major change to my lifestyle was that I had given up swimming in my teens so maybe swimming really does cause migraines for some?
  • That's awesome. How are things going now? FYI, not sure if you already mentioned this or if anyone else did already, but I came across an article that talked about the importance of gradual warm ups in folks who are sensitive to exertional headaches. Just something to keep in mind that might also help- Thanks for asking. I did 3 intense 2 hour work outs last week and no major problems. I've added in eating a banana on the way home which I think has helped. This week I'm in Oregon swimming with my former masters team which isn't as intense and the headaches have been okay.