Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
  • Alison, it sounds like what you are suffering is the "exertional headache." The Mayo Clinic has a nice explanation here: www.mayoclinic.com/.../DS00641 I get these at swimming meets fairly frequently. They aren't migraines per se, but the article mentions that people with a history of migraines are more at risk for them. I have had migraines since my youth, though their frequency is much less the older I get (which one doc said is the consequence of hardening of the arteries--I knew there had to be some silver lining for these!) Before trying the prophylactic drugs the Mayo Clinic recommends, have you ever tried drinking some coffee before (and maybe during) practice? A known effect of caffeine is to constrict blood vessels in the brain, and this might help you--no joke! You could take some Jolt gum to practice and pop a chiclet every half hour, chew vigorously, then pop beneath your tongue for maximum buccal absorption! I would also consider taking some pain pills before practice--Alleve or even Tylenol. If the water's hot, stop periodically to cool off. Just don't overdo it. Maybe you could swim the main set and leave. Not sure why you have to ask your coach to leave after 90 minutes!
  • I tried silicone caps but they were too tight and caused the headaches to get worse. I use latex now. Better yet, shave the head, skip the cap. Long hair's not in fashion anyway! And the trapped bodyheat will be released quicker that way! :D
  • Thanks all. I will try to up the water intake and see how that goes. I normally go through 24 oz during the practice but I need to drink more. I tried silicone caps but they were too tight and caused the headaches to get worse. I use latex now. Try weighing yourself before practice. Our practices are only an hour long, and I almost always lose 3 lbs, or a little less than a half gallon, from sweating and exhaling water vapor. I usually don't drink during practice, and the loss of this much weight, though seemingly extreme to some, is trivial--3/180 = only 1.6 percent of my body weight. If blood expansion of head vessels is your problem, which is what many suspect is going on with exertional headaches, overdoing the fluids isn't going to help you. Baseball pitchers have been known to lose amazing amounts of weight during a game in the heat. I am pretty sure performance doesn't slip till you are significantly dehydrated. If you do a regular Google search for hydration and athletic performance, you will find all the standard hooey about drinking constantly, before during and after, pee as clear as a spring in the Colorado Rockies, etc. However, if you do a Google Scholar search, where the results of actual research are to be found (as opposed to the wishful thinking of the bottled water and Gatorade industries), you will get another story altogether. Case in point: the abstract from a trial of cyclists in the heat: Conclusions (1) Compared with euhydration, EID (up to 4% BW loss) does not alter cycling performances during out-of-door exercise conditions; (2) exercise intensity and duration have a much greater impact on cycling TT performances than EID and; (3) relying on thirst sensation to gauge the need for fluid replacement maximises cycling TT performances. Notes: Euhydration refers to not losing any weight from normal. 4 percent of BW, in my case, would be 4% x 180 = 7.2 lb, or about a gallon. In your case, assuming you weigh 130, you can lose 5.2 lb. of body weight from water loss and suffer no performance deficit. Bottom line, as the article points out, (3) relying on thirst sensation to gauge the need for fluid replacement maximises cycling TT performances. (repeated for emphasis!) Drink when you're thirsty, not when you're not!
  • Jim, you bring up some good points. I find myself very thirsty during this practice which means I'm drinking a lot but no more than during a usual 80 min weekday practice which is in a cooler pool. The pool deck is really hot as well so I swim in the lane next to the door and the door is usually propped open by the coach, even with snow coming in. Reading the article, if sounds like I have primary exercise headaches after this practice (I occasionally get them at meets as well). I do take excedrin before practice, which gives me the caffeine. I'm thinking a small protein bar during practice might help as well. As for why I ask my coach to get out... because he's my coach :) James, there are days when a shaved head sounds so good!
  • I say go for it! It would be so Sinead O'Connor, and you'd be able to ditch the cap. :D
  • I say go for it! It would be so Sinead O'Connor, and you'd be able to ditch the cap. :D Don't say that near my husband. He has already threatened me with his hair cut (full shaved)
  • I'm prone to migraines when I run more than about 4 miles in the summer heat & humidity. Your hydration issues may very, but I find it's important to rehydrate with more than just water. Gatorade helped a little; Vitamin Water was slightly better; the stupidly expensive unsweetened coconut water seems best at keeping my electrolyte levels from going kablooey and I've had a lot fewer headache issues since I started using some of that as a recovery drink. I do drink Boost after a workout. I use it for the protein. How does coconut water compare in the protein department?
  • Any chance these could be sinus headaches? I suffered headaches for about a year in a variety of pools. Went through all kinds of tests, a CT scan, meds, etc. Began to suspect it was sinus headaches (no nasal issues but high up in the sinus passages). Begrudgingly began using a nose plug. Viola! That was the issue. Have been using a nose plug now for about 8 months. Zero headaches after swimming. So maybe, just maybe.....
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I'm prone to migraines when I run more than about 4 miles in the summer heat & humidity. Your hydration issues may very, but I find it's important to rehydrate with more than just water. Gatorade helped a little; Vitamin Water was slightly better; the stupidly expensive unsweetened coconut water seems best at keeping my electrolyte levels from going kablooey and I've had a lot fewer headache issues since I started using some of that as a recovery drink.
  • How does coconut water compare in the protein department? About the same as "fast food is good for you." :D Coconut Water Info