Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
  • I would also suggest making sure that on Fridays you should hydrate well too. Don't just think about Saturday morning during practice to get your fluids in! I have a problem with getting hot too, in places where that was a problem I would always be taking my cap off in between sets and during kick sets if possible. Easy to do if you have short hair.
  • Thanks all. You all have given me a lot to think about. I do think the pool temp has something to do with the level of exertion, which leads to the headaches. As of this week, we are in a different pool for Saturdays. We go back to the hot pool in Sept :( I do need to wear a cap but I can easily take it off and swim a bit without it at the end of practice or in the middle, if needed. My goggles are as loose as I can get them without them coming off when I push off. Off to eat some spinach and work on that iron thing.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I also swim in v. warm water during the summer, and a very easy 100 with no cap after every somewhat hard 1000ish yards/meters does seem to help stay a bit cooler. Going to a workout bikini instead of a one piece suit also seems to help a little in terms of coolness/ comfort level.
  • And we know how well that fast food works for you. :) There is a difference between "works for you" and "good for you". :)
  • I often get headaches after meets. I know it's not a hydration issue because I drink constantly at meets (a mixture of sports drinks and water). Strangely I rarely if ever get headaches after practices, but I do drink throughout workouts.
  • Another intense practice today. I tried different things like relaxing more while I swam and took 2 NSAIDs before swimming. And I felt good in the water! Nice descending set. I got out after about an hour and 35 min. Now is the test as the headaches usually come on after practice has been over for about an hour. Thanks all for the help. I'm going to beat this!
  • I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain. Headaches bother me, too. You can keep a headache chart and identify specific triggers. Here are a few suggestions for what helps me: 1 - make sure goggles don't pinch suborbital nerve - this was a chronic problem for me at meets for awhile and that's why I'm wearing Barracuda and Kayenne goggles now (thanks to some folks on the forum who suggested). 2 - if you swim outside, wear mirrored lenses. Sun can be a trigger. 3 - I can drink lots of water and still get a headache. Mix up an electrolyte drink instead (I like Hammer mandarin orange) and drink before, during and after. A little caffeine before also helps (I had iced tea yesterday before a hot midday swim). 4 - Wear a bikini so you can cool off faster or put ice on your forehead between sets. Take a cool shower afterwards. 5 - Eat very soon after the workout. For me a deficit of calories soon means a bad headache. I hope this helps:)
  • Hey, 'Shark, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with migraines. :bighug: Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to contribute; I just wanted to wish you good luck in finding a resolution to your headaches. :cheerleader:
  • Avoid post-practice alcohol, especially if you are prone to hangover headaches.
  • Hey, 'Shark, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with migraines. :bighug: Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to contribute; I just wanted to wish you good luck in finding a resolution to your headaches. :cheerleader: Thanks Elaine. I'm working on them! Thanks for the advice Alex and Susan. I'll check in to the magnesium. Susan, I do watch the goggles. I take them off, even if for 5 sec, every chance I get. Sat practice was intense but not too bad and no headache. Yesterday morning's workout was super intense (100's on 1:20 and 1:10) and I had a huge headache. So I'm thinking it's the intensity issue. Today was lighter (all IM work) and so far, so good.