Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
Parents
  • Alison, it sounds like what you are suffering is the "exertional headache." The Mayo Clinic has a nice explanation here: www.mayoclinic.com/.../DS00641 I get these at swimming meets fairly frequently. They aren't migraines per se, but the article mentions that people with a history of migraines are more at risk for them. I have had migraines since my youth, though their frequency is much less the older I get (which one doc said is the consequence of hardening of the arteries--I knew there had to be some silver lining for these!) Before trying the prophylactic drugs the Mayo Clinic recommends, have you ever tried drinking some coffee before (and maybe during) practice? A known effect of caffeine is to constrict blood vessels in the brain, and this might help you--no joke! You could take some Jolt gum to practice and pop a chiclet every half hour, chew vigorously, then pop beneath your tongue for maximum buccal absorption! I would also consider taking some pain pills before practice--Alleve or even Tylenol. If the water's hot, stop periodically to cool off. Just don't overdo it. Maybe you could swim the main set and leave. Not sure why you have to ask your coach to leave after 90 minutes!
  • Alison, it sounds like what you are suffering is the "exertional headache." The Mayo Clinic has a nice explanation here: www.mayoclinic.com/.../DS00641 I get these at swimming meets fairly frequently. They aren't migraines per se, but the article mentions that people with a history of migraines are more at risk for them. I have had migraines since my youth, though their frequency is much less the older I get (which one doc said is the consequence of hardening of the arteries--I knew there had to be some silver lining for these!) Before trying the prophylactic drugs the Mayo Clinic recommends, have you ever tried drinking some coffee before (and maybe during) practice? A known effect of caffeine is to constrict blood vessels in the brain, and this might help you--no joke! You could take some Jolt gum to practice and pop a chiclet every half hour, chew vigorously, then pop beneath your tongue for maximum buccal absorption! I would also consider taking some pain pills before practice--Alleve or even Tylenol. If the water's hot, stop periodically to cool off. Just don't overdo it. Maybe you could swim the main set and leave. Not sure why you have to ask your coach to leave after 90 minutes!
Children
No Data