Best Swimming Places to retire

Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US?
  • Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US? Cost of living can be quite subjective- unless you use the Cost of Living Index. This tool might be helpful: www.kiplinger.com/.../ So, based on the index, what do you consider affordable cost of living? Compare where you live now, in Washington, to other western cities to help you make that determination, then let us know where on the index you consider your limit. We lived in San Diego most of our lives, when the index was at 145. My husband retired at 55, we cashed out (sold our paid-off home) when the housing market was sky-high, in 2004, then headed to San Antonio, where the index was around 90. 41/2 years of the heat (and Texas) was enough for us, though, so we moved to a Sun City community, in Georgia, 40 minutes south of Atlanta, where the index is also around 90. It meets everything on your criteria list except one thing: It's not in the western U.S. For my husband to retire at 55 and for me to not have to work full time, we had to head east in order to also meet the other criteria on our list. It was a good move for us. I would highly recommend a Del Webb community; great activities and ammenities, including an indoor pool and fantastic gym. On the negative side: They keep the indoor pool at 84 in the winter :afraid:and there are those pesky noodlers... :censor: (But, we have found our compromise, and, although it's not :bighug:, we at least don't :argue:.) Sorry, I digressed; that's another thread entirely... Anyway, throw out some specifics, so we can help: What weather do YOU like, what can you afford, what outdoor activities do you enjoy, and how close do you need to be to a masters team or meets. Also, check out AARP Magazine; they rate cities every year and would be a good resource. Feel free to send me a PM, if you would prefer to take this conversation off the thread. Good luck! :cheerleader:
  • We did a lot of research before we settled on a Del Webb Community, Sun City Grand which is located in Surprise, AZ, about 20 miles NW of Phoenix. After two years of part time visits, we moved here Jan 1st of this year. I LOVE it! Have to agree with Elaine, my only complaint are that the pools are too warm. You can check it out at www.grandinfo.com. Feel free to shoot me any queries! Hey, Cokie, happy new year! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Sun City community! Off the thread subject :hijack: for a moment, I just wanted to let you know your SwimFest coaching has had a lasting impact. Now, instead of just hearing King Frog's (Allen Stark) tips go through my head when I swim breaststroke, I hear yours, as well. I've been working on my turns daily and have gotten my stroke count down where it belongs! Thanks, again!
  • Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US? Somewhere beautiful, sunny & warm Do you want to train indoors or out? Do you have fairskin? you wrote weather, cost of living, outdoor activities, masters swimming is anything else important? What are your priorities on your list? Do you have children/grandchildren? if so where do they live? Do you want to train on your own or with a team? Do you want to be near beaches or mountains?
  • We're going to visit in FebruaryI'd suggest also visting in late June / July so you can feel the heat. I love the heat and it doesn't phase me (I actually find our winters still too cold for me in AZ), but more than a few other people actually seem to think the 115 or so is a tad on the toasty side. I've gone through summers in both Virginia and Texas, though, and AZ is much more tolerable. That "it's a dry heat" does have truth to it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US? Fresno: Weather - Winters are cool, but it never snows and almost never freezes. However in one hour you can be skiing. Summers are hot (every day in July WILL be over 90) however, it gets down into the 60's every night even on a 100+ daytime peak. Cost index is 109. Higher than I thought, but low for the west. Outdoor activities - Camping, hiking, running, biking, endless miles of trails and roads, both flat and mountain. 3 national parks within one hour. Plenty of lakes for open water. Millerton is only 15 minutes away, the surface temp is in the 70's by May and there are group swims there almost every week. The Pacific is 3 hours away. San Francisco and LA are both close enough for weekend trips. Tremendous running community with lots of race opportunities including the popular Runner of the Year Series, now in its 26th year. www.proracegroup.com/valley12.html Masters Swimming -two great programs that work well together - Fig Garden and Clovis Swim Club. In fact the teams ran a joint workout 12/31. There are 6 50 meter pools within 15 minutes of my house. The only down side is any meets are 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. edit: Fresno Dolphins just added a Masters program at the new Bullard HS 50 meter facility. www.teamunify.com/.../BullardMasters.PDF
  • Ande - Thanks and great questions. No kids so no worries there. Terrain not so important but mountains over beaches. Training with a team over on my own. PWB - Thanks again. We're planning a visit to Phoenix in February and again, probably, in May after Nationals. I may try to swim with the Mesa Masters Team while we're there in Feb.
  • We did a lot of research before we settled on a Del Webb Community, Sun City Grand which is located in Surprise, AZ, about 20 miles NW of Phoenix. After two years of part time visits, we moved here Jan 1st of this year. I LOVE it! Have to agree with Elaine, my only complaint are that the pools are too warm. You can check it out at www.grandinfo.com. Feel free to shoot me any queries!
  • I'd suggest also visting in late June / July so you can feel the heat. I love the heat and it doesn't phase me (I actually find our winters still too cold for me in AZ), but more than a few other people actually seem to think the 115 or so is a tad on the toasty side. I've gone through summers in both Virginia and Texas, though, and AZ is much more tolerable. That "it's a dry heat" does have truth to it. I've been to Phoenix twice in the summertime, and once in the spring. All were for swimming events of course. My first summer (Aug. 1994) it was hot, and I forgot my sandals...big no-no. I burned the bottoms of my feet so bad on the pool deck, and that all day heat was tough on a visitor like me. 2nd time was for USMS Nats at end of April 2011. More tolerable, but it was still in the upper 90s then. Big change when eastern Washington was in the 50s/60s then. 3rd visit was last fall, end of Sept. 2011. Came into town and it was 107. Hot yes, but like Patrick mentioned, dry heat, so it's not bad, as long as you HYDRATE. (I still chose Mountain Dew). :banana: The morning wasn't bad, high 80s/low 90s, but quickly rose back over 105 again by lunchtime or so. Wonderful place though. I see myself heading back again sometime in the future.