Best Swimming Places to retire

Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US?
Parents
  • I'd suggest also visting in late June / July so you can feel the heat. I love the heat and it doesn't phase me (I actually find our winters still too cold for me in AZ), but more than a few other people actually seem to think the 115 or so is a tad on the toasty side. I've gone through summers in both Virginia and Texas, though, and AZ is much more tolerable. That "it's a dry heat" does have truth to it. I've been to Phoenix twice in the summertime, and once in the spring. All were for swimming events of course. My first summer (Aug. 1994) it was hot, and I forgot my sandals...big no-no. I burned the bottoms of my feet so bad on the pool deck, and that all day heat was tough on a visitor like me. 2nd time was for USMS Nats at end of April 2011. More tolerable, but it was still in the upper 90s then. Big change when eastern Washington was in the 50s/60s then. 3rd visit was last fall, end of Sept. 2011. Came into town and it was 107. Hot yes, but like Patrick mentioned, dry heat, so it's not bad, as long as you HYDRATE. (I still chose Mountain Dew). :banana: The morning wasn't bad, high 80s/low 90s, but quickly rose back over 105 again by lunchtime or so. Wonderful place though. I see myself heading back again sometime in the future.
  • I'd suggest also visting in late June / July so you can feel the heat. I love the heat and it doesn't phase me (I actually find our winters still too cold for me in AZ), but more than a few other people actually seem to think the 115 or so is a tad on the toasty side. I've gone through summers in both Virginia and Texas, though, and AZ is much more tolerable. That "it's a dry heat" does have truth to it. I've been to Phoenix twice in the summertime, and once in the spring. All were for swimming events of course. My first summer (Aug. 1994) it was hot, and I forgot my sandals...big no-no. I burned the bottoms of my feet so bad on the pool deck, and that all day heat was tough on a visitor like me. 2nd time was for USMS Nats at end of April 2011. More tolerable, but it was still in the upper 90s then. Big change when eastern Washington was in the 50s/60s then. 3rd visit was last fall, end of Sept. 2011. Came into town and it was 107. Hot yes, but like Patrick mentioned, dry heat, so it's not bad, as long as you HYDRATE. (I still chose Mountain Dew). :banana: The morning wasn't bad, high 80s/low 90s, but quickly rose back over 105 again by lunchtime or so. Wonderful place though. I see myself heading back again sometime in the future.
Children
No Data