Best Swimming Places to retire

Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US?
Parents
  • Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US? Cost of living can be quite subjective- unless you use the Cost of Living Index. This tool might be helpful: www.kiplinger.com/.../ So, based on the index, what do you consider affordable cost of living? Compare where you live now, in Washington, to other western cities to help you make that determination, then let us know where on the index you consider your limit. We lived in San Diego most of our lives, when the index was at 145. My husband retired at 55, we cashed out (sold our paid-off home) when the housing market was sky-high, in 2004, then headed to San Antonio, where the index was around 90. 41/2 years of the heat (and Texas) was enough for us, though, so we moved to a Sun City community, in Georgia, 40 minutes south of Atlanta, where the index is also around 90. It meets everything on your criteria list except one thing: It's not in the western U.S. For my husband to retire at 55 and for me to not have to work full time, we had to head east in order to also meet the other criteria on our list. It was a good move for us. I would highly recommend a Del Webb community; great activities and ammenities, including an indoor pool and fantastic gym. On the negative side: They keep the indoor pool at 84 in the winter :afraid:and there are those pesky noodlers... :censor: (But, we have found our compromise, and, although it's not :bighug:, we at least don't :argue:.) Sorry, I digressed; that's another thread entirely... Anyway, throw out some specifics, so we can help: What weather do YOU like, what can you afford, what outdoor activities do you enjoy, and how close do you need to be to a masters team or meets. Also, check out AARP Magazine; they rate cities every year and would be a good resource. Feel free to send me a PM, if you would prefer to take this conversation off the thread. Good luck! :cheerleader:
  • Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US? Cost of living can be quite subjective- unless you use the Cost of Living Index. This tool might be helpful: www.kiplinger.com/.../ So, based on the index, what do you consider affordable cost of living? Compare where you live now, in Washington, to other western cities to help you make that determination, then let us know where on the index you consider your limit. We lived in San Diego most of our lives, when the index was at 145. My husband retired at 55, we cashed out (sold our paid-off home) when the housing market was sky-high, in 2004, then headed to San Antonio, where the index was around 90. 41/2 years of the heat (and Texas) was enough for us, though, so we moved to a Sun City community, in Georgia, 40 minutes south of Atlanta, where the index is also around 90. It meets everything on your criteria list except one thing: It's not in the western U.S. For my husband to retire at 55 and for me to not have to work full time, we had to head east in order to also meet the other criteria on our list. It was a good move for us. I would highly recommend a Del Webb community; great activities and ammenities, including an indoor pool and fantastic gym. On the negative side: They keep the indoor pool at 84 in the winter :afraid:and there are those pesky noodlers... :censor: (But, we have found our compromise, and, although it's not :bighug:, we at least don't :argue:.) Sorry, I digressed; that's another thread entirely... Anyway, throw out some specifics, so we can help: What weather do YOU like, what can you afford, what outdoor activities do you enjoy, and how close do you need to be to a masters team or meets. Also, check out AARP Magazine; they rate cities every year and would be a good resource. Feel free to send me a PM, if you would prefer to take this conversation off the thread. Good luck! :cheerleader:
Children
No Data