Pools closed - any ideas?

Hey everyone! Hope I’m not posting something that has already been asked, but I didn’t see anything in the forum yet, so... With pools closing left and right, does anyone have any clever ideas of how to keep swimming (or how to keep your sanity if that’s not possible)? I thought of getting a wetsuit and swimming laps in my apartment pool, then they closed that...is anyone opting for open water? Trying to get clever, & at the same wondering if I should just suck it up and deal with the break/be grateful to just be healthy! Thoughts?
  • I'm just doing dryland/yoga/strength work, walking the dog more and waiting for the ice to melt on the nearby lakes so it's warm enough for my thin wetsuit to do some open water training. Some people I've heard are doing these crazy things called running and biking, but I still have some standards and a reputation to uphold as an aquatic being. :agree:
  • You beat me to the punch starting this thread. I was going to call my thread "Coping with Corona" because beer seemed like a good solution. Almost all the pools around me are closed, but there is one odd length pool(about 20M per my measurement) still open. Since few people use it and it's chlorine level runs from high to ouch, I feel relatively safe going there. If it closes, well I know a lot of dryland exercises, but they are a chore and swimming is not. As to running, it is unpleasant.
  • You beat me to the punch starting this thread. I was going to call my thread "Coping with Corona" because beer seemed like a good solution. Almost all the pools around me are closed, but there is one odd length pool(about 20M per my measurement) still open. Since few people use it and it's chlorine level runs from high to ouch, I feel relatively safe going there. If it closes, well I know a lot of dryland exercises, but they are a chore and swimming is not. As to running, it is unpleasant. From the moment I heard "Coronavirus," I thought how unfortunate it was for Corona Beer to share that name. Will people still reach for that beer when they are perusing the offerings in the beer cooler? I'm guessing that brand will take a big hit. Even if it's not a conscious choice, the subliminal effect will take its toll on their sales. Now, back to the subject, pools are closed all over our area of Georgia, but Rob Copeland doesn't mind. He's enjoying swims at Lake Peachtree in what he says is a "balmy" 64 degrees! :D I told him to let me know when it hits 70. I'll be ready for some open water swimming by then, if the pools aren't yet open. My neighborhood is hilly, so hubby and I are taking walks and enjoying whatever signs of human life we see along the way. Quick chats and long conversations alike take place at a safe across-the-street distance, so it's having to suffice as a substitute for my swims and in-person social life. My best friend here teaches yoga and water aerobics classes. I suggested she round up her yoga students via e-mail and teach a class on the back lawn of our recreation center with the mandatory rule that everybody space themselves social distance apart. As a substitute for our Friday night dances in our community, I thought we could set up a boom box in the parking lot. Each person gets their own parking place, leaving an empty space between. When the spaces are full, you're S.O.L. The ideas don't stop there; hubby and I have thought of all sorts of ideas while out on our walks. It's a distraction to keep from freaking out over the downward spiral this country (and world) is taking at the moment. As for all of my dryland routines I used to do on deck following my swim workouts, I am now doing them at home. Today, I did them out in the garage while I was entertained listening to hubby and our neighbor talking sports (or lack thereof) from opposite ends of the driveway. So, here's my :2cents: : If you are nursing injuries, this is a good time to let them heal and/or do PT exercises-- whatever advice your doctor gave you, but you ignored, because you wanted to keep swimming. If you are like me and trying to prevent future swimming injuries, this is the time to do some research and develop a routine of exercises to prepare for your return to the pool. I do yoga, body weight exercises (push ups, planks, etc.), Theraband PT exercises, and other stretching that is not considered yoga. In the meantime, stay safe and stay well!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Elaine, great post! Can you share all the dryland exercises that your're doing?
  • My odd length pool closed. Another pool that said they would take special precautions to stay open safely also closed. I did a dryland workout this morning and I'D RATHER BE SWIMMING.
  • My odd length pool closed. Another pool that said they would take special precautions to stay open safely also closed. I did a dryland workout this morning and I'D RATHER BE SWIMMING. :bighug: I agree with you 100%! :cry:
  • Dawson Hughes just sent out a COVID-19 update with links to resources for dryland. This should help provide more ideas on how we can all stay fit!
  • Wow, that's a ton of info. Thanks, Elaine! You're welcome, Renie! I'm sure the USMS site will have a lot more to add to what I provided. Happy(?) training!
  • Thank you so much, Elaine!! Already got to use some of your dryland (only made it to 30 push-ups and had trouble even showering after, so...I guess I needed that! :D
  • Thanks everyone for the ideas! Just knowing you’re not alone helps a lot! :) Pwb, running I can stomach, but I draw the line at cycling :D Elaine, I laughed so hard when I read your advice about finally taking care of that injury...I’ve been ignoring my ankle sprain for months, guess it is time to finally PT! I’d love to hear which dryland exercises everyone is doing, too! The only ones I have right now come from Sean Vigue (yoga coach out of Colorado - he has an app with several free videos, mostly power yoga & Pilates but has some stretching too)...they’re great, but shaking it up would be good too!