Pools closed - any ideas?

Hey everyone! Hope I’m not posting something that has already been asked, but I didn’t see anything in the forum yet, so... With pools closing left and right, does anyone have any clever ideas of how to keep swimming (or how to keep your sanity if that’s not possible)? I thought of getting a wetsuit and swimming laps in my apartment pool, then they closed that...is anyone opting for open water? Trying to get clever, & at the same wondering if I should just suck it up and deal with the break/be grateful to just be healthy! Thoughts?
  • My odd length pool closed. Another pool that said they would take special precautions to stay open safely also closed. I did a dryland workout this morning and I'D RATHER BE SWIMMING. I actually looked up endless pool pricing today (and got a GREAT laugh in!!) :D
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Wow, that's a ton of info. Thanks, Elaine!
  • From the moment I heard "Coronavirus," I thought how unfortunate it was for Corona Beer to share that name. Will people still reach for that beer when they are perusing the offerings in the beer cooler? I'm guessing that brand will take a big hit. Even if it's not a conscious choice, the subliminal effect will take its toll on their sales. I never reached for a Corona before the virus. It's just not good beer. Any beer that requires a piece of fruit to make it palatable isn't worth it for me. Dan
  • Thank you so much, Elaine!! Already got to use some of your dryland (only made it to 30 push-ups and had trouble even showering after, so...I guess I needed that! :D ​You're welcome! Start slow on the push-ups, and don't worry about getting your core down all of the way at first. It's something you need to build up to, so you don't suffer!
  • My bike is still on hooks in the garage. Doing pushups, squats, walk a few miles. Here's the past week's swimming. 3/12 - 1500y 3/13 - 0 3/14 - 0 3/15 - 0 3/17 - 0 3/18 - 0 3/19 - 0
  • Thank you so much, Elaine!! Already got to use some of your dryland (only made it to 30 push-ups and had trouble even showering after, so...I guess I needed that! :D I rarely do as many as 30 in a row. I normally do sets of 20-25. 4-6-8 sets with a few minutes between. Likewise for squats, sets of 10-15. I’ve gotten to 150 pushups a day for weeks at a time, but as far back as I can recall, my max set was 70. In my 60s I would do more. One day, age 65, I managed 10 sets of 50 in 1 hr. It’s gotten a bit tougher to sustain at 72.
  • Former Member
    My bike is still on hooks in the garage. Doing pushups, squats, walk a few miles. Here's the past week's swimming. 3/12 - 1500y 3/13 - 0 3/14 - 0 3/15 - 0 3/17 - 0 3/18 - 0 3/19 - 0 That's what I'm doing. My workouts this week: 3/15 - Lift, 1.5 hours; walk 2 mles 3/16 - swim 3500 yd 3/17, 18, 19, 20 - walk 4 miles each day 3/18 & 20 - Tennis - 2 hours Tried yoga, but ended up hurting my back. Lol, am find today.
  • Former Member
    Yeah, damn. The pools are are closed in my 'hood also, for god knows how long. I started swimming in Feb 2019 after decades of being a runner, but my left knee didn't agree with running anymore. So I went CRAZY with swimming, and now this. (Plus divorce on top of all of it, but that would be tmi, sorry.) I sometimes wonder if my swimming phase was merely Feb 2019 - Mar 2020, RIP. But I do miss it, and I do look forward to getting back into it, whenever this crazy period (covid + life) resolves itself. Those damn runners are lucky....they can still go out and do their thing, alone. I'm jealous, and angry. But where does that get me? I stay sane by getting out, alone, often.....walking in the forest, visualizing that sub 6min 400m someday......
  • Former Member
    My friend and I ordered wetsuits from Swimoutlet and braved our HOA pool Thursday when it was 70 degrees out and cloudy, and today when it was 60 degrees out, cloudy, and the pool was overfilled with rainwater. I was surprised at how easy it was to find and fit into a wetsuit. I also bought the neoprene socks and cap. The wetsuit really keeps you warm, but exposed skin does not escape the cold. I think the key to getting going is telling your mind to ignore the stinging cold of the water until you warm up and get used to it. Ignore your instincts that are telling you to get the heck out of the water. Its not a simple task, but it really does get better, and before you know it, you're enjoying the swim. I swam for 30 min today. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Yeah, damn. The pools are are closed in my 'hood also, for god knows how long. I started swimming in Feb 2019 after decades of being a runner, but my left knee didn't agree with running anymore. So I went CRAZY with swimming, and now this. (Plus divorce on top of all of it, but that would be tmi, sorry.) I sometimes wonder if my swimming phase was merely Feb 2019 - Mar 2020, RIP. But I do miss it, and I do look forward to getting back into it, whenever this crazy period (covid + life) resolves itself. Those damn runners are lucky....they can still go out and do their thing, alone. I'm jealous, and angry. But where does that get me? I stay sane by getting out, alone, often.....walking in the forest, visualizing that sub 6min 400m someday...... Sounds like my life. Ex runner/racer who had to give it up. Need total knee replacement. Envious of every runner my age who can actually still run. I try to fool myself into thinking maybe they just started, unlike me, who was a runner for about 30 years. Running was so easy to do. You can run anywhere, in any weather, anytime you want. Swimming took a long time to somewhat master. This year, I finally fixed some flaws in *** and back stroke. Fixed my "dead" hips in the water. Then, this. Ugghh. I will have heavy hips and legs again from all this walking. I'm ordering an indoor bike so I can alternate. But walking in the woods is helping. I pray they don't take that away next.