Eating before early morning work outs

I'm about to start having swim practices at 6am.  I have never swam a full workout this early.  I plan on waking up at 5am to get to this practice.  I'm wondering if I should practice on an empty stomach or eat something.  If eating is recommended, what should I eat or consume?

• I've been swimming early mornings for ages, and I like to eat something small before my workout.  For the last couple of decades that's been a nutrigrain bar.  Back in college when I was getting them for free, I would eat a third to a half of a PowerBar.  To give you a timeline:  I wake up at 4:40, leave the house at 4:50, eat my bar in the car, and I'm in the pool no later than 5:05.  So, there's really no digestion time; it's just enough to make it so my stomach's not rumbling by the end of my swim.

• Hi! 

there is not right answer, only peoples opinions on everything! 

remember that you have been at least asleep for 6 or 8 hours, meaning that you blood sugar  is low, so going on an empty stomach sounds to me like going on a road trip with an empy fuel tank. if you do, youre blowing up your piston for running them dry. so why do it to your body? there is no difference. just eat something that is light, and easy to absorb. fruits and oatmeal make great candidates. some people also say drink coffee and go on an empty stomach for "burning fat" which is terrible idea. caffeine is a diaretic, which means it will pull what ever little sugar from your blood to supply the muscles. 

my name is Joey, I swam for team usa and now I work with master athletes in regards to physical fitness and nutrition, if you are interested in learning more, send me a message. Hope all is well. 

• I agree with Joey. What I typically get at 4:25 before my 5am training is a glass of CarbMaster chocolate milk or Chocolate Almond milk. And never forget to bring water with electrolytes. I use proppel or Gatorade with no sugar.

• If you're going to eat something, I'd recommend eating it at least 30 minutes before you get in. There are plenty of preworkout fueling options, but the most important things in whatever you get is A) it helps you; and B) it works with your digestive tract. 

• I have always felt that I did best of my morning workouts with a little bit of food in my stomach. I have recently been reading some Internet information on intermittent fasting which implies that you can get a better response of increased human growth hormone and muscle rebuilding by not eating before the work out. Since I haven’t done this before I’m a little anxious. Does anyone have more information about this 

• I don't swim at "O-dark Nothing" swim practices, my earliest swims are at 0845. But I can't stand to swim on an empty stomach. So if I can't eat something more than 2 hours before a workout, I won't go to the practice as I'll be tasting it the whole way through the workout. 

• Hi Joey,
    I'm interested in learning more about physical fitness and nutrition.  Thanks. =)

• My preference is fasted workouts. I've been doing it for about 6 years now; both in the water and in the gym. I also prefer a low carb lifestyle, more of a carb cycling method. It may take some experimentation on your part to see what makes you feel best. 

• What do you like about fasted workouts. I am exploring more about low-carb lifestyle and possibly intermittent fasting and would like to know your experience

• Hi Joey,

I would welcome some guidance to transition to less sugar and reducing food cravings at night.

I have done 2 Sprint Triathlons and want to train for an Olympic in November but I'll need a lot to get there. I am looking at dietary and nutritional changes, and though i eat well, I welcome some guidance to restore balanced energy.