Eating before early morning work outs

I'm about to start having swim practices at 6am.  I have never swam a full workout this early.  I plan on waking up at 5am to get to this practice.  I'm wondering if I should practice on an empty stomach or eat something.  If eating is recommended, what should I eat or consume?

Parents
  • Hi! 

there is not right answer, only peoples opinions on everything! 

remember that you have been at least asleep for 6 or 8 hours, meaning that you blood sugar  is low, so going on an empty stomach sounds to me like going on a road trip with an empy fuel tank. if you do, youre blowing up your piston for running them dry. so why do it to your body? there is no difference. just eat something that is light, and easy to absorb. fruits and oatmeal make great candidates. some people also say drink coffee and go on an empty stomach for "burning fat" which is terrible idea. caffeine is a diaretic, which means it will pull what ever little sugar from your blood to supply the muscles. 

my name is Joey, I swam for team usa and now I work with master athletes in regards to physical fitness and nutrition, if you are interested in learning more, send me a message. Hope all is well. 

• Hi Joey,

I would welcome some guidance to transition to less sugar and reducing food cravings at night.

I have done 2 Sprint Triathlons and want to train for an Olympic in November but I'll need a lot to get there. I am looking at dietary and nutritional changes, and though i eat well, I welcome some guidance to restore balanced energy.

• Hi Joey,

I would welcome some guidance to transition to less sugar and reducing food cravings at night.

I have done 2 Sprint Triathlons and want to train for an Olympic in November but I'll need a lot to get there. I am looking at dietary and nutritional changes, and though i eat well, I welcome some guidance to restore balanced energy.

Children
No Data