Is there such a swim-related tinnitus?

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone else developed a problem with tinnitus since becoming a serious swimmer? I had my hearing checked and found I have very good hearing. Hoping I don't have to quit swimming to improve the condition.
  • I believe tinnitus is caused by a loud and or sudden shock wave. This would not be caused by water in swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I'd guess water in the ear might cause some ringing. Is this your problem? If so, ear drying agent (95%/5% isopropyl alcohol and glycerin) after swimming might help. If that's it, I imagine there's plenty of other signs of water in the ear. If not, I'm not sure what might cause it- there are plenty of causes for tinnitus other than loud noise.
  • Yes, I have had tinnitus since 2016. I have also had a string of ear infections since I began to swim in 2008. My ear infections subsided once I stopped using ear plugs (had skin allergy towards silicon), but tinnitus remains. Been to ENT who claimed to be hearing loss, but I’m not fully sold on this because the tinnitus varies. Once the ringing stopped for a minute, but that’s it. I’ve read that alcoholic ear drops solutions (ototoxic) may cause it too, something swimmers may use.
  • I believe tinnitus is caused by a loud and or sudden shock wave. This would not be caused by water in swimming. That is only ONE cause of tinnitus. Another cause is a virus that attacks the inner ear. That was the case with me. Joy, think back on when you first developed tinnitus. Had you been sick with a cold virus just prior to that? That was the question asked to me by my doctor when no other cause could be determined and a brain MRI came up negative.
  • Elaine - you are correct. I was just thinking of my cause - self centered I guess.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Hi Joy, I've had tinnitus for the last 40 years. I've grown used to it. I have hearing loss and some vertigo issues. Allergies seem to cause it to increase, swimming, playing my piano. In the overall scheme of athletic injuries, this is tolerable for me. I've seen dozens of ENT's with no relief. They seem to agree on NOT using ear plugs, b/c if they are not custom fitted ear plugs, water can get trapped in the ear, causing more problems.