Is there such a swim-related tinnitus?

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone else developed a problem with tinnitus since becoming a serious swimmer? I had my hearing checked and found I have very good hearing. Hoping I don't have to quit swimming to improve the condition.
Parents
  • Yes, I have had tinnitus since 2016. I have also had a string of ear infections since I began to swim in 2008. My ear infections subsided once I stopped using ear plugs (had skin allergy towards silicon), but tinnitus remains. Been to ENT who claimed to be hearing loss, but I’m not fully sold on this because the tinnitus varies. Once the ringing stopped for a minute, but that’s it. I’ve read that alcoholic ear drops solutions (ototoxic) may cause it too, something swimmers may use.
  • Yes, I have had tinnitus since 2016. I have also had a string of ear infections since I began to swim in 2008. My ear infections subsided once I stopped using ear plugs (had skin allergy towards silicon), but tinnitus remains. Been to ENT who claimed to be hearing loss, but I’m not fully sold on this because the tinnitus varies. Once the ringing stopped for a minute, but that’s it. I’ve read that alcoholic ear drops solutions (ototoxic) may cause it too, something swimmers may use.
Children
No Data