Can I swim with achillles tendonitis?

Former Member
Former Member
I have been swimming about 10 miles a week (half of my workout with soft fins - for the last 10 years). Went to foot doc today and learned I have AT (moderate), but he said NO exercise until its 75% better. No way can I NOT exercise in the summer (living in the North, we live for summer), and he included swimming. He said too much pressure on the tendon with the kicking motion. No walking, just upper body. Has anyone had AT and NOT exercised at all, esp. not swam?
  • One of my swimmers a couple years ago had achilles tendon surgery on both legs. He would use a pull buoy and pull half of the practice, then get out. No idea if that's what his doctor said he could do, I just know he did that for several months before he was back to normal.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Thanks, Habu. If I focus more on kicking from the hips, it may relieve the foot motion.
  • Former Member
    That kind of injury runs the risk of becoming chronic. I dislike pull buoys, but I would refrain from swimming without one until the doc clears me. You can crank the heck out of your shoulders with no strain at all on your AT. I would hide the fins in the back of an obscure closet. (If the AT was in any way related overuse of the fins, burn them.)
  • Former Member
    Hi Mick, I do use my fins for half my workout, but they are very soft, especially in the heel area, barely touching the heel. I really swim poorly on the pull buoy, esp. on the backstroke. I am pretty certain it's from tennis, as it happened shortly after I started playing in the Spring. OTOH, I also got new orthotics about a few months before the AT started but the doc said they would help, not cause AT. Not sure I believe that.
  • Hi Mick, I do use my fins for half my workout, but they are very soft, especially in the heel area, barely touching the heel. I really swim poorly on the pull buoy, esp. on the backstroke. I am pretty certain it's from tennis, as it happened shortly after I started playing in the Spring. OTOH, I also got new orthotics about a few months before the AT started but the doc said they would help, not cause AT. Not sure I believe that. I would very strongly recommend that you ditch the fins. If you are going to swim while you're recovering, use a pull buoy and don't kick, and especially don't wear fins!
  • Over use of any set of muscles will cause this. 10 years of that might lead to this condition. You are not as young as you were 10 ago. I had to stop my running streak at 5 1/2 years because of this. I know it is against your nature but, sometimes we need to back off.
  • Sounds like tennis could have caused it easily. Go with heel inserts and well padded shoes in the future.   And the fins are not good for achilles tendons.  You could eventually do exercises to strengthen your calves or talk to an orthopedist/Podiatrist to talk to a Physical Therapist about exercises that strengthen your calves and prevent achilles tendinitis or tendenopathy.   But you do need to heal, and achilles injuries can certainly become chronic.   Watch your pushoffs also since they strain the ankle if you push too hard and too consistently. They can even be avoided altogether.   A good shoe insert is available from Heel that pain, an online company that sells gell inserts as well that help your achilles.   I personally think a well padded running show with gel is one of the best ways to reduce inflaming achilles tendons.  Don't run, and watch both kicking and push-offs since they also tax the ankle, considerably worse than the flutter kick.  Kicking from the hip with no fins is likely best.   You're getting good advice.

• Sounds like tennis could have caused it easily. Go with heel inserts and well padded shoes in the future.   And the fins are not good for achilles tendons.  You could eventually do exercises to strengthen your calves or talk to an orthopedist/Podiatrist to talk to a Physical Therapist about exercises that strengthen your calves and prevent achilles tendinitis or tendenopathy.   But you do need to heal, and achilles injuries can certainly become chronic.   Watch your pushoffs also since they strain the ankle if you push too hard and too consistently. They can even be avoided altogether.   A good shoe insert is available from Heel that pain, an online company that sells gell inserts as well that help your achilles.   I personally think a well padded running show with gel is one of the best ways to reduce inflaming achilles tendons.  Don't run, and watch both kicking and push-offs since they also tax the ankle, considerably worse than the flutter kick.  Kicking from the hip with no fins is likely best.   You're getting good advice.

Pull buoys are great, but don't overuse your shoulders.  If you are over 35, be careful with hand paddles or don't use them.  Switching stroke is good, but *** stroke can also be hard on a strained achilles.  Back stroke without a high speed kick cadence i also an option.  Of course soft soft fins are better, but I would avoid fins altogether for awhile.   Achilles tendonitis can also present like Plantar fascitis as well, so be aware of that.

• I've had achilles tendonitis and it has become far more noticeable past the age of 65.  The easiest solution is rest, stop using fins, and seriously reduce or change the way you push off from the wall.  Walking too much has also aggravated the problem, but then remember I'm older than most masters swimmers.  Fins are very risky with AT, but pulling, freestyle, backstroke are usually ok, though be aware you must seriously reduce loading your ankles, and become more aware of what motions load your ankles; this always includes kicking, but how intensely you kick is important to analyze.  Tendon ware is a function of aging in most people, so AT usually gets worse and/or more common with age.  It can heal, but heals more quickly the younger you are, and how effectively you schedule a long rest interval to give it time to heel.   What you can do with AT depends on how old you are, how bad the AT is, and what exactly is causing the AT.  I've been told by a orthapedic surgeon that strengthening your calf muscles can help reduce the liklihood of AT, but you should talk to a Doctor or physical therapist about this first.   You have options, and AT usually gets better if you treat it and are careful.  Don't fall into the rut common with masters swimmers of continuing to swim with an injury!!!