Can I swim with achillles tendonitis?

Former Member
Former Member
I have been swimming about 10 miles a week (half of my workout with soft fins - for the last 10 years). Went to foot doc today and learned I have AT (moderate), but he said NO exercise until its 75% better. No way can I NOT exercise in the summer (living in the North, we live for summer), and he included swimming. He said too much pressure on the tendon with the kicking motion. No walking, just upper body. Has anyone had AT and NOT exercised at all, esp. not swam?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    That kind of injury runs the risk of becoming chronic. I dislike pull buoys, but I would refrain from swimming without one until the doc clears me. You can crank the heck out of your shoulders with no strain at all on your AT. I would hide the fins in the back of an obscure closet. (If the AT was in any way related overuse of the fins, burn them.)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    That kind of injury runs the risk of becoming chronic. I dislike pull buoys, but I would refrain from swimming without one until the doc clears me. You can crank the heck out of your shoulders with no strain at all on your AT. I would hide the fins in the back of an obscure closet. (If the AT was in any way related overuse of the fins, burn them.)
Children
No Data