Can I swim with achillles tendonitis?

Former Member
Former Member
I have been swimming about 10 miles a week (half of my workout with soft fins - for the last 10 years). Went to foot doc today and learned I have AT (moderate), but he said NO exercise until its 75% better. No way can I NOT exercise in the summer (living in the North, we live for summer), and he included swimming. He said too much pressure on the tendon with the kicking motion. No walking, just upper body. Has anyone had AT and NOT exercised at all, esp. not swam?
Parents
  • Hi Mick, I do use my fins for half my workout, but they are very soft, especially in the heel area, barely touching the heel. I really swim poorly on the pull buoy, esp. on the backstroke. I am pretty certain it's from tennis, as it happened shortly after I started playing in the Spring. OTOH, I also got new orthotics about a few months before the AT started but the doc said they would help, not cause AT. Not sure I believe that. I would very strongly recommend that you ditch the fins. If you are going to swim while you're recovering, use a pull buoy and don't kick, and especially don't wear fins!
  • Hi Mick, I do use my fins for half my workout, but they are very soft, especially in the heel area, barely touching the heel. I really swim poorly on the pull buoy, esp. on the backstroke. I am pretty certain it's from tennis, as it happened shortly after I started playing in the Spring. OTOH, I also got new orthotics about a few months before the AT started but the doc said they would help, not cause AT. Not sure I believe that. I would very strongly recommend that you ditch the fins. If you are going to swim while you're recovering, use a pull buoy and don't kick, and especially don't wear fins!
Children
No Data