Shoulder Arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I have been having some shoulder issues this winter and finally went to my doctor. X-Ray came back with shoulder arthritis. Pretty surprised as I am only 45. I was told to stop swimming and find something else to do. I do not have a swimming background but started swimming about 7 years ago when my running career came to an end. I love it and do not want to stop but I also do not want to further damage my shoulder. Do others have experience with this? Should I hang it up or do swimmers work through this crummy diagnosis /prognosis?
  • Your next consult should be with a physical therapist who knows overhead sports (swimming, throwing, racket sports). Rest may help in the short term, but in the long term you need to understand how to stabilize your shoulder joint while you are putting force through it. No reason you should have to quit swimming. You just may need to swim differently, and to add some complementary exercises to your routine to keep you going.
  • I have been having some shoulder issues this winter and finally went to my doctor. X-Ray came back with shoulder arthritis. Pretty surprised as I am only 45. I was told to stop swimming and find something else to do. I do not have a swimming background but started swimming about 7 years ago when my running career came to an end. I love it and do not want to stop but I also do not want to further damage my shoulder. Do others have experience with this? Should I hang it up or do swimmers work through this crummy diagnosis /prognosis? If every mid-40s swimmer with shoulder arthritis hung up their goggles, there'd be no one in the pool. :) It's true rest will help with the inflammation. So will ice, NSAIDs, acetaminophen, kicking. It could get better on its own. Or it may not. In my case it didn't, I ended up with surgery. It's a fairly straightforward surgery and now it's perfectly fine. In fact, I couldn't even remember which shoulder hurt!
  • Sorry to hear about this. Are you experiencing pain in one or both shoulders?
  • First consider the possibility that maybe your stroke needs attention, and continuing to swim in such manner is overloading the joints. Swimming, when done efficiently and in optimal volumes, can have more positive, than negative effects to the shoulders. Have you tried supplementing with resistance, and range of motion training? Have you been doing rotator cuff and scapular exercises?
  • Sayerd, I am a few years older (65) with alot of miles on my shoulders. Right shoulder has been the culprit for years, so had an x-ray which showed advanced arthritis. I also had some bicep tendonitis which has resolved itself, but the Orthopedic doctor told me I would not be able to do butterfly because of the arthritis unless I had surgery. Much easier to skip butterfly than do surgery. :) I continue to swim 90 minutes a day. There are other factors that cause shoulder pain besides arthritis. You could have bicep tendonitis (ah MRI would be necessary). You could be aggravating it with certain lifts if you are doing strength training. As has been mentioned, you should start doing rotator cuff exercises (a PT who knows swimming can help) and stretching. And, as was mentioned, have a good stroke technician look at your stroke. Bottom line - in and of itself, arthritis should not be a show stopper. Since you enjoy swimming, find a way to keep at it - regardless of what the "experts" tell you to do. Good Luck.
  • It sucks to give up any activity. I was a runner for 40+ years, but that came to an end in 2015 (age 67) due to spinal arthritis. The impact of running was too much, so I switched to swimming primarily. I can still walk at a good clip though, so I can do the local neighborhood 5K any weekend. Even did some short triathlons and open water swims. There is always something you can do.