Shoulder Arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I have been having some shoulder issues this winter and finally went to my doctor. X-Ray came back with shoulder arthritis. Pretty surprised as I am only 45. I was told to stop swimming and find something else to do. I do not have a swimming background but started swimming about 7 years ago when my running career came to an end. I love it and do not want to stop but I also do not want to further damage my shoulder. Do others have experience with this? Should I hang it up or do swimmers work through this crummy diagnosis /prognosis?
Parents
  • It sucks to give up any activity. I was a runner for 40+ years, but that came to an end in 2015 (age 67) due to spinal arthritis. The impact of running was too much, so I switched to swimming primarily. I can still walk at a good clip though, so I can do the local neighborhood 5K any weekend. Even did some short triathlons and open water swims. There is always something you can do.
  • It sucks to give up any activity. I was a runner for 40+ years, but that came to an end in 2015 (age 67) due to spinal arthritis. The impact of running was too much, so I switched to swimming primarily. I can still walk at a good clip though, so I can do the local neighborhood 5K any weekend. Even did some short triathlons and open water swims. There is always something you can do.
Children
No Data