Shoulder Arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I have been having some shoulder issues this winter and finally went to my doctor. X-Ray came back with shoulder arthritis. Pretty surprised as I am only 45. I was told to stop swimming and find something else to do. I do not have a swimming background but started swimming about 7 years ago when my running career came to an end. I love it and do not want to stop but I also do not want to further damage my shoulder. Do others have experience with this? Should I hang it up or do swimmers work through this crummy diagnosis /prognosis?
Parents
  • Your next consult should be with a physical therapist who knows overhead sports (swimming, throwing, racket sports). Rest may help in the short term, but in the long term you need to understand how to stabilize your shoulder joint while you are putting force through it. No reason you should have to quit swimming. You just may need to swim differently, and to add some complementary exercises to your routine to keep you going.
  • Your next consult should be with a physical therapist who knows overhead sports (swimming, throwing, racket sports). Rest may help in the short term, but in the long term you need to understand how to stabilize your shoulder joint while you are putting force through it. No reason you should have to quit swimming. You just may need to swim differently, and to add some complementary exercises to your routine to keep you going.
Children
No Data