Shoulder Arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I have been having some shoulder issues this winter and finally went to my doctor. X-Ray came back with shoulder arthritis. Pretty surprised as I am only 45. I was told to stop swimming and find something else to do. I do not have a swimming background but started swimming about 7 years ago when my running career came to an end. I love it and do not want to stop but I also do not want to further damage my shoulder. Do others have experience with this? Should I hang it up or do swimmers work through this crummy diagnosis /prognosis?
Parents
  • First consider the possibility that maybe your stroke needs attention, and continuing to swim in such manner is overloading the joints. Swimming, when done efficiently and in optimal volumes, can have more positive, than negative effects to the shoulders. Have you tried supplementing with resistance, and range of motion training? Have you been doing rotator cuff and scapular exercises?
  • First consider the possibility that maybe your stroke needs attention, and continuing to swim in such manner is overloading the joints. Swimming, when done efficiently and in optimal volumes, can have more positive, than negative effects to the shoulders. Have you tried supplementing with resistance, and range of motion training? Have you been doing rotator cuff and scapular exercises?
Children
No Data