How many people swim at Nationals that DON'T qualify?

I'm curious as to how many people actually swim the three allowed events at Nationals if they don't qualify? I can easily get to the Greensboro facility and am considering swimming, but am worried about being one of a handful of 'slow' swimmers! I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I gotta know! Thanks! Amanda
  • I do not know the actual numbers but would definitely concur that you're worrying about nothing. Go to the meet and swim! It's a blast and you'll be so happy you did. I've been to several Nationals and never have I even looked to see who qualifies and who doesn't. Nor, have I heard of anyone else making any statements re: non-qualifiers. USMS is an inclusive group so go to the meet, swim and have fun. I guarantee you'll meet new people and will reflect with the idea of what was I worried about.
  • waves101 is 100% correct. You absolutely should go! The qualifying times are irrelevant because you can swim 3 events without meeting any of them. It's more about the experience and the people and the fun to be had. There's a place for everyone to swim, no matter what speed they are. Definitely attend if you have even a small interest in going. I've never regretted going to nationals!
  • +1 to what Waves and Fly Trap said! I AM one of those "slow" swimmers who won't be making NQT's this year. Although I have made them in the past, I had hip surgery in December, 2014, and I had a setback last August (popped scar tissue). I had to start all over again with my healing, recovery, and training; but, why should that force me to sit out Nationals? It is a GREAT experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed Nationals at Greensboro, in 2012. There is no way I would miss it by choice! The three events I chose for Nationals aren't even my best events, but they are the three I can most safely (for my hip) train the most yards in. I am SURE I will be coming in at the bottom of the heat in all three (1650, 500, 200 fly), but so what? I am so OVER feeling embarrassed about it! :wiggle: Amanda, I hope you go, and I hope we get to meet up there! Look for me in the 50-54 age group. My last name is Krugman.
  • One way to see is to look at prior years to see how many people were below the NQT. Check the events that you'd like to swim. It will give you an idea.
  • I'm curious as to how many people actually swim the three allowed events at Nationals if they don't qualify? I can easily get to the Greensboro facility and am considering swimming, but am worried about being one of a handful of 'slow' swimmers! I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I gotta know! Thanks! Amanda Amanda, I don't know how many people swim at the Masters championships without any qualifying times but whatever that number is, I'm one of them. What makes Masters swimmers such an awesome group of swimmers is that they all swim for different reasons. If your reason for wanting to swim in Greensboro is because you simply want to have a fantastic and fun experience, then you're in good company. Many of us Masters swimmers just want to swim, whether we swim at turtle speed or not. You most definitely are worrying about nothing if the only thing that's holding you back from going is the fear of being one of the slow swimmers. The fact that you WANT to swim at Greensboro is the only good reason you need to fit right in. Go for it!
  • I'm curious as to how many people actually swim the three allowed events at Nationals if they don't qualify? I can easily get to the Greensboro facility and am considering swimming, but am worried about being one of a handful of 'slow' swimmers! I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I gotta know! Thanks! Amanda A very similar thread with this same topic was started two years ago: forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • GO !! Where else can you stand or swim with Olympic swimmers. You will have fun if that is why you are going there. If it's to win medals, then go to a local meet. It has been good fun at the Nationals I have been to.