Swimming against your competion

I am not usually one to complain about swim meets, since I appreciate all the hard work that goes in to putting one on.... And I fully understand that this is the largest LCM Nationals in the history of Masters Swimming.... But really... Not being able to swim against your competition in the 200's??? This is not a local meet. This is the Nationals. The ONLY time I get to swim against my own age group. There needs to be a better solution.
  • If that's is all the time it saves this certainly won't be a solution to shortening the meets if the national meets continue to grow. It's too late for Mission Viejo but a subject the championship committee should revisit with the comments in this thread taken into consideration.
  • It's too late for Mission Viejo but a subject the championship committee should revisit with the comments in this thread taken into consideration. 200's haven't been seeded. Why is it too late?
  • 20 minutes an event! That's it? For that we can't swim against our own age group? I'm so happy that on Saturday we get to go home at 4:50 instead of 5:05. The Championship Committee, host and officials did everything we could to minimize the timeline for this nationals. Below is the time we hope to save (based on historical data that varies considerable from year to year) from swimmer's who do not check in for their events. This savings is already included in the estimated Timeline. Wednesday: 1 hour and 52 minutes (this day is already 13 hours long) Thursday: 39 minutes Friday: 1 hour and 33 minutes minutes (this day is 10 hours long) Saturday: 34 minutes (this day is also 10 hours long) Sunday: 31 minutes Also, meets are normally run with 45 second heat intervals. We can do 30 second heat intervals if the officials push hard. For this meet we hope to do 20 second intervals by using flyover starts. As you can see, if anything goes wrong, we could have far longer days. It isn't all about the swimmers, the officials and volunteers will have to work long hours each day. If we don't keep the meet within reasonable hours, we will have a hard time getting people to bid on nationals and a hard time getting officials to run our nationals. Therefore, be sure to thank the volunteers and officials that make this nationals possible.
  • Excellent point. Who does one appeal to?
  • Being an inclusive organization doesn't mean USMS has to include everyone in its national championship. It is not remotely elitist to have time standards for national championships or to be forced to eliminate NQT events because of attendance. It's nationals, not a run of the mill meet. I find myself in agreement with amswimmer. I decidedly prefer to swim against my competition at nationals and, as she notes, it is the only meet of the year at which this happens. And everyone knows I agree with Matysekj's comments! I don't want to be stuck in an outside lane catching the waves of the 20 somethings in a sprint event. Unless substantial (hours+) time is saved, I think the 200s should be seeded by age group. As for Jeff's point about the 400/800/1500 swimmers, I would be curious how they feel. The age group time spreads in those events is likely much greater than in the sprints, pacing is much more important, and waves from surrounding swimmers less of an issue (in fact, there may be drafting). So perhaps in those circumstances it is more desirable to swim against those with comparable times? I can see either side. But those events take so disproportionately much longer than the sprints, I'm sure there's no choice but to mix age groups. You bring up several good points and they are well taken. I must admit, when I first joined USMS as a newbie swimmer in February 2010, I was (pleasantly) surprised to learn I would be allowed to swim 3 events at Spring Nationals, at Georgia Tech. We are at opposite ends of our age group at Nationals. You are at the TOP as a world record holder and I am at the bottom of some of the events I entered- and, close to it for the others; at least with the times I have been swimming this year with my injuries. I'm just happy to be able to swim! But, at the elite level you are at, I completely understand your argument. Thanks for providing that insight.
  • Thanks for asking. I am feeling a bit sad and unloved since my events are all at the end of the day, and no one will be hanging around to watch me swim. No, they will all be at the beach, enjoying drinks with little umbrellas and soaking up the sun. :bighug:
  • You bring up several good points and they are well taken. I must admit, when I first joined USMS as a newbie swimmer in February 2010, I was (pleasantly) surprised to learn I would be allowed to swim 3 events at Spring Nationals, at Georgia Tech. We are at opposite ends of our age group at Nationals. You are at the TOP as a world record holder and I am at the bottom of some of the events I entered- and, close to it for the others; at least with the times I have been swimming this year with my injuries. I'm just happy to be able to swim! But, at the elite level you are at, I completely understand your argument. Thanks for providing that insight. Being "elite" actually has nothing to do with my argument. I do like that, right now, there are spots for swimmers with no NQTs. However, it is typical in all sport to have time or other qualifying standards for national level events. Triathletes have to earn spots at Kona, runners have to get their BQs to run in the Boston Marathon, etc. So if attendance at nationals becomes unmanageable -- and we can't have officials there all night -- then you have to tighten standards. That's not elitist; it's just the nature of a national event. Fortunately, there are plenty of other USMS events for everyone to compete in. I doubt I will go to Santa Clara so you can have my spot! Gull, I haven't even looked at the order of events. But how is it that distance swimmers go last?! I thought they made you guys get up early in the morning? At least, I have always counted on that. :)
  • well some folks think its dumb that Schoeman is not swimming in the same heat as the 2nd and 3rd fastest swimmers in the meet. where is the excitement in that? thats like watching prelims.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    As for Jeff's point about the 400/800/1500 swimmers, I would be curious how they feel. Thanks for asking. I am feeling a bit sad and unloved since my events are all at the end of the day, and no one will be hanging around to watch me swim. No, they will all be at the beach, enjoying drinks with little umbrellas and soaking up the sun.
  • Maybe only 10 lane pools should be considered for future LCM nationals?